Group Admins

• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

NASCAR

Public Group active 1 week, 3 days ago

Group for fans of NASCAR.

Juan Pablo Montoya’s crash and fire in Daytona 500

This topic contains 31 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of sbl on tour sbl on tour 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author

Just about ten minutes ago it happened. With under 50 laps to go under a caution (safety car) JPM’s car broke, sending him into a spin and slamming into a jet dryer – bursting into flames and leaving a massive jet fuel fire on the track. Both Montoya and the jet dryer driver are OK and have been cleared by the medical teams, but the race is suspended with serious doubts that it will restart.

Capture by Mattzel89:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WC1L4n_4f0E

It’s an incident I think the whole motorsports community needs to examine to try and learn something from it. It could’ve been a major tragedy but thankfully it appears we’ve avoided that.

Scalextric
    Participant

Quite risky behavior by the marshals fighting the fire. Could have blown up at any moment. Lucky no body was hurt. I imagine the crash barrier is damaged as well as the track surface.

Mikemat5150
    Participant

Good thing no one was hurt in that. Could’ve been much worse for Montoya and the safety personnel of the truck and the fire crew.

The latest news is that they are still working on the track and NASCAR President Mike Helton is hopeful they will actually restart the race.

EDIT: Incredibly, they have fixed the damage to the track to a decent enough condition and they are restarting the race!

Scalextric
    Participant

I’m guessing they fixed the track surface with an epoxy composite. Like garage floor epoxy but faster setting. The air dryers would not have helped it set faster, it’s a chemical reaction, not a solvent evaporation process.
    Edit: Yup, apparently it’s epoxy. http://www.streetbond.com

Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

What a bizarre crash. Any indication what caused Montoya’s car to spin out of control to begin with?

Glad no-one was hurt that could’ve been incredibly nasty.

George
    Participant

wow this crash looked nasty, shame there wasnt a camera showing the moment of impact, glad montoya got out ok

BasCB
    Participant

I would say its a revieve that there was no camera showing the impact there @george2404, I can picture what it looked like quite fine.

Happily no one got hurt in this.

As for those firemen, @scalextric, I guess that after the fuel tank got pierced in the impact and the first blow the pressure was off and it would not explode anymore, just burn the fuel off. It seems half of their effort is to keep the track cooled to prevent more damage.

ajokay
    Participant

It’s an incident I think the whole motorsports community needs to examine to try and learn something from it.

I really don’t see how, it was such a freak accident. What can they say? Don’t use a jet engine to dry the track? if you do, do it under red flag so nothing else is out on track? If the weekend is wet, wait until the track is properly dry before having the race? Don’t race on ovals at all?

Freak accidents will always happen everywhere, whatever you try to do to avoid them. That is their nature.

damonsmedley
    Participant

What is a jet dryer anyway? Why do they need jet fuel and what do they actually do?

I found it amusing/slightly worrying that one of the commentators was talking about someone driving the flaming truck off the race track and onto the grass. He said it wasn’t possible because the drivers’ side door was caved in. And here was me thinking the huge fire was enough of a deterrent…

nackavich
    Participant

If Montoya was complaining of vibration through every gear then possibly it could’ve been differential or driveshaft related? Scary how on that huge oval with all of that barrier, the car decided to fail and collect the safety truck! Murphy’s Law.

ajokay
    Participant

What is a jet dryer anyway? Why do they need jet fuel and what do they actually do?

It’s a jet engine on the back of a truck pointing directly at the track to dry the surface after rain. I’ve seen one used at Santa Pod drag strip too. And because it’s a jet engine it needs jet fuel.

nackavich
    Participant

Th jet dryer is basically that: A giant turbine engine on a trailer designed to be driven around the track to blow debris off it after and accident. CART used to use them as well.

Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

@damonsmedley Because they can’t race on ovals in the rain, they accelerate the drying process using jet-engined driers to speed up the evaporation of water from the track surface.

It’s crude but effective. Until someone crashes into the truck and blows it up.

damonsmedley
    Participant

Yeah, that’s never helpful!

Also, I miss Juan Pablo. I know he didn’t want to be in F1, but you never knew what was going to happen when he was around (particularly in his Williams days). He was an idiot at times, but at least he was never boring.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.