Group Admins

• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

NASCAR

Public Group active 1 month, 1 week ago

Group for fans of NASCAR.

Kyle Busch crashes into Ron Hornaday in NASCAR Truck race

This topic contains 43 replies, has 30 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Keith Collantine Keith Collantine 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Joey-Poey
    Participant

I was going to say it’s more of an amorphous, unwritten policy, but I worried that maybe I was off the mark since I have to admit I haven’t closely followed NASCAR for many years. Some quick googling shows that maybe I was on the right track with the description:

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/nascar/cup/news/story?id=6571863

TL;DR is that NASCAR has been heading the opposite direction of F1 in terms of nanny-state officiating and letting drivers be a little more wild/emotional on and off track.

While I can agree that stock car oval racing needs to be given some leeway when it comes to contact as the racing will always be very close, I think they’re letting this get out of hand. It’s becoming more like a video game and less like professionals out performing in a dangerous competition.

Mark Hitchcock
    Participant

People like Kyle Busch shouldn’t be allowed behind the wheel of a racing car. Deliberately causing an accident should never be allowed under any circumstances, especially when the red mist has descended and it’s about revenge.
    Try using the “have at it” defense in court when you end someone’s career or life in an accident like that…

Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

Utterly disgraceful, drivers who cause deliberate crashes like this should get bans.

But then, this is the series where Nelson Piquet Jnr found a home, so perhaps we shouldn’t be so surprised.

Seriously though, to let someone get away with something like this when we’ve seen two recent examples of the terrible consequences crashes can have, it boggles the mind.

wasiF1
    Participant

Stupidity is the word that comes in my mind.

Fer no.65
    Participant

I don’t follow NASCAR (and I don’t plan to do it in the future) but I’ve seen like 10 moves like this one by this fella Kyle Busch.

He really is something, ei? what a clown…

Sinnr
    Participant

Come on Keith, the reference to Piquet was uncalled for. No one knows for sure why he did what he did.

As for Kyle Busch, well that’s another matter. This person is the biggest bully in Nascar. The little ban that he got was not enough in my opinion.

Stephen Jones
    Participant

I actually kind of.. well… uhh….. like the ‘boys have at it’ rule..

I mean, the Retaliation should never be allowed. But the “sort it out yourselves” officiating seems to be working. The drivers have to balance their driving to keep on the “good sides” of their competitors.. In the end, if you go around misbehaving and crashing into each other then you won’t make any friends.. And friends are what you need to win at the Restrictor Plate venues..

Hopefully these incidents (Busch is a right t**t btw!) don’t give NASCAR too much of a bad name, because (I’m going to get some hate from the “elitist” F1 Fans here..) it is a great series, and it does produce some of the most amazing racing on earth..

Joey-Poey
    Participant

The problem with self-policing, though is that it’s an almost anarchic state until someone goes too far. While I like that they let them speak out and be human, they DO need some clearly defined lines set down such as absolutely positively no retaliation. That’s poor sportsmanship and if this is a professional level, then these guys ought to be able to act so. Not to mention there’s a high standard to be held for the number of kids who look up to these guys. This is hardly role-model behavior.

Even though it’s not my bag, I have a lot of respect for oval drivers because it’s not so easy to be fast as some like to claim. But this does nothing for the image of the sport when many see it as a bunch of fat, rowdy, redneck hooligans. Let them race hard, let them be emotional… but DO NOT let them take each other out intentionally or get into physical altercations. They don’t have to be sterile, but they’ve turned into the bad parent that says “whatever you want, sweety.” Then they only step in when to their horror they’ve found their little brat has run amok smashing jars and eating everything in the candy shop. And the response? Take them out, slap them on the wrist with a stern “no!” and then take them back in and say “whatever you want, sweety…”

JerseyF1
    Participant

This is almost unbelievable and an absolute disgrace. A one race ban seems far too light, I’m amazed that in this situation the licence to race isn’t completely revoked. Raymondu999 mentions Jerez ’97 but I think this is in a completely different category; there was no attempt at passing or defending a position involved but purely a deliberate attempt to put the other car in the wall, under yellow flags and at high speed.

MVEilenstein

Folks, please don’t misunderstand: NASCAR parked Kyle Busch for the weekend. This meant no Nationwide or Sprint Cup racing, either.

Anybody with a brain can see Hornaday got loose passing the slower truck, which got him into Busch. As usual, though, Busch didn’t care to wait for the explanation, choosing to act out on his anger with his 3,500-pound truck.

Although, if it were me, I would remove him from the property entirely. I would invited him to watch the race from home.

Doance
    Participant

This happens all the time in NASCAR.

MVEilenstein

No it doesn’t, Doance. Not like this.

JT19

You know when you see a sport and you pick a person/competitorto follow, well when I first watched NASCAR, I picked Kyle Busch as the one I would root for everytime NASCAR was on. Well Mr. Busch, you have lost yourself a supporter. An absolute disgrace, disgusting!!

From this day forward, I shall support………Tony Stewart (only because he teamed up with my idol a few months ago ;))

AMG Fan
    Participant

What Kyle Busch did was completely out of order and unacceptable, to ram into somebody with that closing speed is daft and dangerous. But, NASCAR’s “have at it boys” policy has no limitations or distinctions…until NASCAR themselves think an incident has gone too far. But it’s too late by then, the incident has happened – the vagueness of the policy has given the green light for such actions. This has exposed a flaw in a policy that I like, I like the “boys have at it” policy – but it can produce incidents like last weekend where drivers go overboard.

This incident reminds me of a NASCAR Nationwide race at Dover last year, Clint Boyer deliberately crashed into Denny Hamlin under caution. Boyer wasn’t suspended from any races for that. The speed at which retaliation was served were much lower than in Texas. NASCAR seemingly though that was acceptable – yet found such disgust with last weekend’s incident (which they should) and not the Dover crash.

As for the general sweeping statements about NASCAR, and those who find spinning somebody out on purpose so terrible – get real. This is NASCAR, not open wheel cars where contact between cars has terrible consequences. Payback is a regular occurrence in NASCAR and always be, but that’s what is so exciting – the rivalries that brew between drivers. For example, Jimmie Johnson and Kurt Busch despise each other, so Kurt spun Johnson out at Richmond – only for Johnson to return the favour. It wasn’t dangerous, they just shoved each other around at short track speeds. Kyle took it way too far, however.

I thoroughly enjoy watching the races across all three National Series. The relaxed driving conduct is very appealing, the drivers have to handle themselves and not go and cry to some steward to try and get another driver penalised.

Joey-Poey
    Participant

I’m sorry, but intentionally spinning someone, no matter what racing series, is not okay. It’s not simply an issue of danger so much as fair play and courteous racing. I would never want to race someone who took me out on purpose. It’d be no fun and is more a show of bullying than skill. I refuse to accept this sort of behavior from grown men.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.