NASCAR

NASCAR's new race format is a little bit complicated

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Having already created one of the most horrendously complicated championship points systems in motor sport, NASCAR has gone a step further by adding a new level of complexity to its race scoring.

Oh, and the points system has been changed again too.

I’m not going to add anything to NASCAR’s own explanation for how this is all going to work:

• Races will now consist of three stages, with championship implications in each stage.
    • The top ten finishers of the first two stages will be awarded additional championship points.
    • The winner of the first two stages of each race will receive one playoff point, and the race winner will receive five playoff points. Each playoff point will be added to his or her reset total following race No. 26, if that competitor makes the playoffs.
    • All playoff points will carry through to the end of the third round of the playoffs (Round of 8), with the Championship 4 racing straight-up at Homestead-Miami Speedway for the title.
    • Championship points following the first two stages will be awarded on a descending scale, with the stage winner receiving 10 points, second receiving 9 points, and so on.
    • The race winner following the final stage will now receive 40 points, second place will receive 35, third place 34, fourth place 33, and so on.

Whatever Liberty Media are cooking up for Formula One I hope they don’t share the same view that the more complicated something is the better it is because to me this looks like a mess.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.