Group Admins

• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

NASCAR

Public Group active 6 days, 8 hours ago

Group for fans of NASCAR.

Video: Pit fight after Gordon crashes into Bowyer

This topic contains 25 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Joey-Poey Joey-Poey 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Girts
    Girts
    Participant

Here are the drivers’ reactions on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/JeffGordonWeb/status/267787727926345728

https://twitter.com/ClintBowyer/status/267817468993626112

It looks like the relationship between both had been tense already before the incident and that Bowyer had managed to annoy Gordon a couple of times earlier this season. Still, it is unacceptable to use your car as a weapon and a ‘sorry’ is just not enough here. Other drivers got involved and Brad Keselowski was right there as well so this could have had serious impact on the fight for the Cup. I believe that NASCAR should disqualify Gordon from several upcoming races.

Profile photo of Keith Collantine
    Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

@Roald None of that justifies responding with violence, which is completely unacceptable.

Profile photo of Roald
    Roald
    Participant

@Keith That’s your opinion, not a fact.

Profile photo of Mads
    Mads
    Participant

What a bunch of uncivilized people.
    I know they are on the edge and then Gordon does such a stupid move, but for the pitcrew to respond like that.. wow.
    I don’t think that it would be unfair to exclude both teams from this years championship based on what happened. One thing is being stupid, another is to deliberately drive into another driver. I think that an exclusion would be okay, considering that peoples lives are effectively at risk.
    And then the other teams pitcrew goes absolutely crazy.. I know they are feeling robbed and everything, but to resort to violence? My god. I don’t support drivers and teams being PR puppets, but going out and hitting someone because he has been an idiot is just to take it too far. That is kids stuff. Let both teams go home with nothing from this year, and let them reflect on how you go motor-racing and how you don’t.
    Incidents like that makes NASCAR look like a redneck festival of noise, beer and brawls. And not a top of the range motor-sport. If they at least punish behaviour like that incredibly hard, then it will only be the teams that looks like idiots, not the whole sport.

Profile photo of Keith Collantine
    Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

@Roald I never said otherwise so you can keep hold of that straw man.

We’ve got a driver causing a deliberate crash on one hand, and a bunch of people behaving like thugs on the other. Both sides behaved reprehensibly, neither deserves any credit.

Profile photo of Fer no.65
    Fer no.65
    Participant

@Roald Fact: they are all professionals. If every frustration led to punching people, then the world would melt… a “heat of the moment” moment can happen, but punching every member of the team isn’t that, it’s rage. Who cares if he’s agry?

Fact #2: NASCAR allows this kind of thing. And the crowd. They’d have acted differently if this kind of attitudes wasn’t “normal”.

Profile photo of MatK77
    MatK77
    Participant

Most people responding here are out of touch with reality

Good thing there’s somebody around to keep all of us on the right track.

Profile photo of Girts
    Girts
    Participant

NASCAR obviously don’t think that Gordon needs to be parked:

Jeff Gordon was fined $100,000, docked 25 driver points and put on probation until Dec. 31 for his on-track altercation with Clint Bowyer during the AdvoCare 500, a violation of Section 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing).

http://www.nascar.com/news/121112/jgordon-bkeselowski-cbowyer-crew-chief-penalties/index.html

I’ve said before that I think that there are too many penalties for causing avoidable collisions in F1 these days. But NASCAR have obviously gone from one extreme to another. This case was much more obvious and more dangerous than any of Maldonado’s actions and Gordon openly admitted that it was deliberate and that he wasn’t going to say sorry for what he did. This isn’t dirty street racing involving a bunch of criminals, professional drivers should know how to behave. It’s sad that NASCAR have failed to deliver the right message.

Profile photo of xbx-117
    xbx-117
    Participant

Remember that these are probably the safest cars in the world, and they’re raced on tracks surrounded by SAFER barriers. Contact is commonplace in stock car racing because the cars are designed for it; it’s not meant to occur in the open wheel and open cockpit forms of motorsport. Comparing the two is never going to be easy.

Also, I don’t believe Gordon should have been parked for the last race. Gordon’s final action was very black and white and even though I hate to say it he does deserve the penalty he got because it was a deliberate act, but the events leading up to it are worth noting. Bowyer is no saint in this matter.

Finally, everyone complaining about the fight in the pits needs a reality check. Sure it was dumb and incredibly unprofessional, but the bottom line is a couple people got in a tussle and fell to the ground but there was no “brawl”. Watch a rugby fight.

Profile photo of Atticus
    Atticus
    Participant

When I was younger and followed a lot of categories like BTCC, F3000, GT, DTM, etc. I only loosely followed NASCAR, it did not appeal to me. This changed lately though – I only began to rediscover other categories and NASCAR is now firmly near the top of the list. I followed news for some time after watching the wild finish at the Glen this year, got acquainted with the rules, heard about the Chase fight unfolding between Johnson and Keselowski, and finally catched a replay of their outright fender-to-fender racing at the last but one restart at Texas few laps from the finish, fighting for the lead side-by-side for two laps at that late stage of the season. That was the last straw, I then watched some great races this year, the Shootout, Daytona, Bristol, Talladega, etc., and catched the end of the race at Phoenix live.

This was the first time I watched NASCAR live – and instantly I got the wildest finish of the year. (Well, I heard the second Dega race is also a contender…) I was embarrased slightly at Gordon and Bowyer as well, but the general thing that stuck me the most was the late season suspense and that emotions got to the surface a lot more than I used to see in F1. Keselowski’s reaction in the press room shortly afterwards, the G-W-C events, how he survived, etc. It was insane and while I could certainly be glad for Gordon to control himself in the future, the whole experience was overwhelming once again.

Profile photo of Joey-Poey
    Joey-Poey
    Participant

Personally, until NASCAR gets rid of this “Boys have at it” policy, I have no respect for their governing body. It condones (and practically encourages) retribution. That is unsportsmanlike and childish behavior that has no place at the top echelon of professional racing. Part of me hopes that this whole mess has just been one long illustrated point that they shouldn’t allow the drivers to police themselves.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.