Video: Track fence damaged in Daytona 500 practice crash

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Oli Peacock Oli Peacock 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Keith Collantine
    Keith Collantine

Another aerial NASCAR accident caused damage to a track fence in practice for the Daytoa 500 earlier this week. Here’s a look at what happened:

Last year 17 fans were injured in a Nationwide race at the same track.

Besides the accident itself it’s worth noting just how far NASCAR’s coverage is ahead of F1’s – not only do they broadcast testing but they put official clips of it on YouTube as well…

Apparently the revised fencing they built after last year’s serious Nationwide accident did what it was supposed to do.

This reminds me, I need to put my annual Daytona 500 thread together in time for Sunday…

Profile photo of ajokay

I know next to nothing about NASCAR. How come this looked like a race if it was practice? To they practice running in packs? Is that what this was?

Profile photo of Oli Peacock
    Oli Peacock

Yes, at Superspeedways 90% of the racing is done in packs, so getting the cars to work in the draft will have a greater priority then running alone as it’s unlikely they will be on their own in the race. Short tracks are 1.5 milers will be less like a race

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.