Group Admins

• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of Bradley Downton

Off-topic

Public Group active 4 hours, 9 minutes ago

The place for off-topic discussion

2012 United States presidential election

This topic contains 43 replies, has 26 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Pelican Pelican 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Keith Collantine
    Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

It’s decision day for America tomorrow. I’ll be watching developments in the small hours of Wednesday morning armed with coffee and cookies alongside a friend who, like me, is also an American politics and history anorak.

Obviously America is our second-largest source of F1 Fanatic readers so it would be fascinating to hear from anyone over there about how it’s going in your area and what you think of the candidates.

Profile photo of robk23
    robk23
    Participant

It’s also interesting to see what people outside the United States think and who they prefer, I’m hearing that Barack Obama is more popular globally than Mitt Romney.

Profile photo of Slr
    Slr
    Participant

@robk23 According to MSN 81% of the planet are behind Obama.

Personally I like Obama better as he seems more human than Romney. If I could have someone like Obama as Primeminister instead of Cameron here in the UK, I’d make that person PM. From an actual policital standpoint I can’t say much about whether Romney would be better than Obama. However I get the impression that many Americans just vote for the party that they’re loyal to, rather than actually looking into the other parties and their candidates and seeing if any of those would be better in power.

Profile photo of Michael
    Michael
    Participant

I think many people are on the fence about this one. It’s easier to tell the differences between the presidential candidates as you can watch 3 debates and can make a decision based on that. As for the local candidates, it is much harder to know what their policies are.

With regard to Obama, he hasn’t been able to deliver what he promised but then again that was probably impossible given the state of the global economy and the ongoing war.

Romney has the magical 5 point plan which any candidate can easily crush with a 6 point plan:-) I think they probably came up with a 5 point plan because it’s easier to sell than a 4 point or 7 point plan…

After the Bush disasters, I’m surprised there are any Republicans left in the US.

I belong to the upper middle class and I carry the US on my shoulders. “Hey, you need a $1,000 check – come here, take 2, heck take 5″, ” Oh Apple paid 2% on $38 billion in foreign income – don’t worry here’s a $2,000 donation (aka tax increase) to take care of that! It’s on me Tim – spend it wisely”

The situation is very frustrating for the middle class in the US and strangely there is an incredible amount of poverty in the States that foreigners don’t know about and never see in the movies where the average policeman lives in a $3 million apartment. Go to any low income ghetto and you’ll think you’re in Beirut…

@Slr – you’re right, most people do just vote for the party they are loyal to. Makes no sense, really but it’s how it works here. It might lead to a spiraling decline of the US in the long run but that’s neither here nor there:-)

Profile photo of S.J.M
    S.J.M
    Participant

I think the vast majority of non-Americans look at Mitt Romney with grave concern. Obama certainly seems to be the person of choice for most Europeans, more genuine perhaps (or as much a politican can be).

Profile photo of Mads
    Mads
    Participant

I am not from the US. Denmark instead, and here it seems like most people are behind Obama, but I guess we don’t have a clue what the Americans are on about when they say that Obama is ‘restricting’ them. From our small, half communistic country it does look like a playground ‘over there’ regardless of what Obama does of Robin Hood tactics on them, it is nothing compared to here. Not that less tax necessarily = better. I guess if you are used to living in the states you do feel the difference though.
    Still, I think that Obama feels more humane them Romney, and generally I feel that I agree a lot more with some of his views then those of Romney.

Profile photo of Ads21
    Ads21
    Participant

I’ll be watching the election night because I’m a massive nerd and enjoy these kind of things, but I’m really not bothered who wins as it won’t make any real difference. I will be keeping an eye on Gary Johnson though hoping he can get a decent share of the vote, especially in the swing states.

Profile photo of Girts
    Girts
    Participant

I’m not an American and I’m not going to stay up to wait for the outcome. But, if I had to vote, I probably would vote neither for Romney, nor for Obama. I generally support Romney’s positions on economic policy, budget, taxes etc. But his views on human rights issues are unacceptable to me and I think that Obama is stronger in the foreign affairs, too.

I guess that many Latvians would like to see a U.S. president, who is less tolerant towards Russia’s activities (that would be Romney in this case) but I don’t care much about that.

I’ve been cheering for an outsider in F1 for three years. I voted for outsiders in the latest Latvian parliamentary elections. And I think I would vote for an outsider here as well, namely, the Libertarian candidate Gary Johnson, even though I don’t share some of his views, such as the support for legalization of marijuana. But I believe that one shouldn’t support the lesser of two (or more) ‘evils’, pick the one who you really like.

Profile photo of Jarred Walmsley
    Jarred Walmsley
    Participant

On that note, check out this site http://www.votevotevote.net/index.php it is infact a voting page for all non US citizens to vote for who they think is a better president, at the time of posting Obama is 2011 to Romneys 232. Kind of says it all really doesn’t it.

Profile photo of safeeuropeanhome
    safeeuropeanhome
    Participant

@slr That situation with people voting for a party due to loyalty rather than policy is not unique to America. It is just the same in the UK; for example there is no way the Tories will ever get in in any large city in the north of England or Scotland, particularly ex-industrial and mining communities. The same as Labour will not get in in Henley on Thames or Witney, or wherever David Cameron’s constituency is. Just as the US has swing states we have swing constituencies, just on a much smaller scale. I myself am guilty of it, if Ed Miliband (who I think is a terrible politician) is still in charge of Labour in 2015 I can seriously see myself not voting. It may seem silly to some, but my family are staunch anti-Tory off the back of the Margaret Thatcher era and against what the Conservatives represent in general. I’d rather not vote as the situation currently is.

Getting back to topic if I were American I would 100% vote Obama. Romney has been presented as a bit of a clown in the UK, what with all the gaffes he has made in the build up, and there are very few policies of Republicans that I could ever get on board with. The people who will fight to the death for their right to bear arms because of the Constitution for example are nearly all staunch Republicans, that is something I think a lot of Europeans would have trouble comprehending.

Profile photo of Michael
    Michael
    Participant

@Girts If you were voting for a WDC, wouldn’t you cast your vote for a driver that you knew had a chance of winning? The other party candidates have almost no chance of winning in the US especially now that presidential election campaigns cost $1 billion dollars.

Personally I want Obama to win and bring Romney in as a chief of staff to help him bring all the programs to fruition. No doubt Romney is capable and can get results especially bringing in the support of the Republicans – I think the country needs to unite and think about the country itself more so than the party they belong to. The US needs to position itself for the next century with great reforms across all areas.

Profile photo of Pelican
    Pelican
    Participant

Keith – that is serious dedication, the polls don’t start to close until what, midnight UK time? From what I here, neither party is expecting a result before wednesday or thursday.
    Debaser-I don’t understand the 2nd amendment fanatics either. At the moment, the lunatics of the republican party are running the asylum. Keeping government spending in check is a republican policy that’s not too hard to agree with, but it’s been abandoned while nutcases rail against immigrants, taxes, lobbyists, the Federal Reserve Board, assault rifle bans, China, the government in general, and various other irrelevancies.
    Mads, Slr – both candidates look like genuine opportunists from here.
    I’ve been spared the campaigning because i’m in a very democratic area, but from what i’ve heard, it’s non-stop in Ohio.

Profile photo of Victor.
    Victor.
    Participant

I think the Economist’s endorsement of Obama is a fair one and reflects my feelings rather well (more so regarding domestic policy than foregin policy) – http://www.economist.com/news/leaders/21565623-america-could-do-better-barack-obama-sadly-mitt-romney-does-not-fit-bill-which-one (how do you ‘embed’ a link?).

While Obama hasn’t been great, Romney is, I’m sorry, no president. He has come so far due to Obama’s mediocrity/difficulties he had to face and while I think he would provide a quicker short-term boost to the American economy than Obama, there’s more to being president than that and more to the economy than economic growth.

I guess the problem for me here is this: while for me Obama is slightly too left wing (i.e. a fair bit, but not too much, and again, I wholly concur with the Economist’s assessment of Obamacare), Romney is, well, a Republican (even though only really because he doesn’t have much of a choice to start elsewhere – a fault of Western political systems in general in my eyes) and I usually associate that with living in the 19th century. May I just say, thank God (see what I did there?) we’re not talking about Santorum here.

And I’d love a pint with Barack:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8TwRmX6zs4

Edit: Also, if anyone’s interested, this is a fun thing to do: http://graphics.wsj.com/votecompass/. It’s not perfect in any way as foreigners might find it slightly difficult as some things require current knowledge since questions are asked in relation to the current state of affairs and some issues might seem too distant to comment on.

Profile photo of Felipe Bomeny
    Felipe Bomeny
    Participant

I’m a student here in the U.S. and while I can’t vote in this election (next one for sure!), the election has been the source of much debate between my classmates. I go to an arts school so the majority of students are leaning towards Obama, as confirmed by a mock election.

Romney is a pancake; he’s always flip-flopping. His economic plans are utterly bogus as well. For example, how is diverting extraneous money to the Navy going to help beat al-Qaeda? In addition, he has no regards for basic human rights. Personally, I believe women should be allowed to make their own medical choices and that members of the LGBT community should be married.

Ultimately, I view this election as picking the lesser of two evils. In this case, it’s Obama. But my vote would go to either Rocky Anderson or Jill Stein.

Profile photo of Pelican
    Pelican
    Participant

The local Occupy chapter is celebrating Guy Fawkes Day in my neighborhood. Sadly, there’s no room at the corner they’re on for a bonfire, but they have effigies of Obama and Romney just in case.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.