Group Admins

• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of Bradley Downton

Off-topic

Public Group active 4 days, 22 hours ago

The place for off-topic discussion

2012 United States presidential election

This topic contains 43 replies, has 26 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Pelican Pelican 2 years ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Guilherme
    Guilherme
    Participant

just based on our horribly out-of-date electoral college system

The first time I’ve seen C. G. P. Grey’s videos on the electoral college (if you guys haven’t seen them yet, search for it on youtube now, his videos are amazing) I just couldn’t believe it, it is mind-blowing that such a system persists to this day.

Profile photo of Keith Collantine
    Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

Profile photo of Bob
    Bob
    Participant

CNN puts Barack Obama on 303 electoral votes, and Mitt Romney on 206. The popular vote was very closely fought – Obama and Romney went 49.86% to 49.21% respectively. It appears that Obama has just won his second term.

Profile photo of robk23
    robk23
    Participant

Good news to wake up to, no Bush Mk. II in the White House.

Profile photo of Michael
    Michael
    Participant

It’s surprising to see how close the popular vote was and how skewed the electoral votes were. Looks like the elections require every bit as much strategy as a F1 race does.

Profile photo of Bob
    Bob
    Participant

Can’t seem to edit my earlier post, but the full results are now available. Obama’s share of the popular vote was actually 50.3%, to Romney’s 48.1%. Nevertheless, the gap in electoral votes is interesting.

Profile photo of matt90
    matt90
    Participant

Thank God America saw sense.

Profile photo of Farragher
    Farragher
    Participant

I don’t know if it is necessary to thank a god for the result of yesterday’s election, but I am thankful that we didn’t wind up with Romney/Paul. They are both very strange individuals, and you could almost see the strings that moved Romney’s mouth. Paul is a cultist who tries to live according to a piece of mediocre fiction. Passes it out to his aids. All those who think a corporate raider would have been the best choice for president need to go contemplate their navels for a for a while. what a crazy notion. It is true that America needs some considerable straightening out, but having W mkII do it would not be a good idea, and I can only imagine the gaffs we would have had to live down while Mitt tried to find his way while learning geography and foreign policy.

Profile photo of matt90
    matt90
    Participant

Just did some reading up on Paul Ryan. What a disturbing politician- pro-life to the extent that not even rape and incest victims should be allowed abortions, while also criticising emergency contraception, yet being a gun-toting maniac approving less stringent gun control.

Profile photo of Michael
    Michael
    Participant

@matt90 where did you read that about Ryan? It’s funny because I’ve tried to follow this election to the extent I could and didn’t know that… It goes to show you how ignorant the general public (myself included) are.

Profile photo of Fixy
    Fixy
    Participant

Despite not agreeing on several matters with Obama, I’m happy he won as Romney didn’t strike me as a particularly clever person, whilst Barack did. The latter, opinions aside, is the ideal president for the current days, he interacts very well with many people and knows how to behave in any situaiton. Romeny has made some serious errors during the campaign and I had the impression he would have struggled if things hadn’t gone according to his plans. Obama looks like a sensible and determinate person, ready to take the situation as it is and behave accordingly.

Profile photo of matt90
    matt90
    Participant

@freelittlebirds

It was just a summary of his views on wikipedia, although I had heard the ‘no abortion for rape victims’ bit before. I do find it hilarious that somebody can be so strongly both pro-life and pro-gun.

Profile photo of Michael
    Michael
    Participant

@matt90 thanks I do agree it’s hilarious until you realize there are 100 million people who share those views…

Profile photo of Pelican
    Pelican
    Participant

The pro-gun people don’t live in the areas with nightly gang violence. Big cities keep trying too ban handguns any way they can, and the NRA keeps sweeping in and getting the laws thrown out. It’s pretty ridiculous.

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.