Group Admins

• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of Bradley Downton

Off-topic

Public Group active 5 days, 10 hours ago

The place for off-topic discussion

2014 World Cup – mathers wins Predictions

This topic contains 323 replies, has 28 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of George George 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 324 total)
  • Author
    Slr
    Participant

I think Argentina will win it and because of that I will support them, along with Chile, Japan and Italy as there are certain things about them that appeal to me.

Although I’m English, I don’t support teams based on my geographical or cultural ties to them – nothing about the England team appeals to me so I don’t feel I have any reason to support them. I don’t see England getting out of the group anyway, they have not looked promising in their friendlies. Italy haven’t either, but their squad is generally stronger than England’s.

@bradley13 I think that’s quite an optimistic prediction for the Netherlands to reach the semi-finals, their midfield looks below-average and their defence looks weak.

Bullfrog
    Participant

the England team is made up of players with almost no redeeming qualities as people.

That comment’s like Ecuador’s second goal last night. Back of the net!

Disappointments? Belgium look like a good-on-paper side – individuals who’ve looked good in the Premier League, but I doubt they’ll make the step up to international level as a team.
    England? They’ll let too many in against Argentina in the second round, possibly in extra time, after all the usual overblown, casually racist build-up to the match.

Brazil for the Cup for me, probably Spain in the final but I wonder if they’re getting old?

David not Coulthard
    Participant

Coming from the 1st Asian country to participate in the World Cup (I think)I’m actually not that interested in football, but anyway perhaps the human rights issues that might’ve been involved in the building of the stadiums should stop F1 from racing there next, or for that matter, this year…..:)

Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

DDonovan1993
    Participant

In a closely contested final, I think San Marino will narrowly beat Bhutan and win their first World Cup.

Juan Pablo Heidfeld
    Participant

Group Stages
    Group: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th
    Group A: Brazil, Croatia, Mexico, Cameroon
    Group B: Spain, Chile, Netherlands, Australia
    Group C: Colombia, Ivory Coast, Japan, Greece
    Group D: Uruguay, England, Italy, Costa Rica
    Group E: France, Ecuador, Switzerland, Honduras
    Group F: Argentina, Bosnia & Herzogovina, Nigeria, Iran
    Group G: Germany, Portugal, Ghana, USA
    Group H: Belgium, Russia, South Korea, Algeria

Round of 16
    Brazil v Chile
    Colombia vs England
    France vs Bosnia & Herzegovina
    Germany vs Russia
    Spain vs Croatia
    Uruguay vs Ivory Coast
    Argentina vs Ecuador
    Belgium vs Portugal

Quarter-finals
    Brazil v Colombia
    France v Germany
    Spain v Uruguay
    Argentina v Portugal

Semi-finals
    Brazil v France
    Spain v Argentina

Final/3rd place
    Brazil v Spain
    France v Argentina

Juan Pablo Heidfeld
    Participant

My backing of the French relies upon them not imploding, which is about 50/50 chance

Aditya F. Yahya
    Participant

It’s interesting as seems like there’s no major power emerging as clear favourite. Brazil as host obviously has chance but lacks of ‘Ronaldinho and Kaka’, the next generation is quite good though.
    Spain and Germany is not as good as, let’s say 2 years ago. Italy is now struggling. Messi has not reached his peak with Argentina.

Portugal would be an outsider with Ronaldo leading them, France and England getting solid than ever, and Belgium squad is nice.

But still, personally I support Gli Azzurri.

matt90
    Participant

@davidnotcoulthard Where’s that?

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

@davidnotcoulthard Well, it stopped Formula E racing in Rio that’s for sure.

David not Coulthard
    Participant

@matt90 Nederlands Indie.

The result was embarassing, though. Wish the team were better nowadays but S.E. Asia football teams seem to be getting nowhere.

Juan Pablo Heidfeld
    Participant

With Falcao out I’d have England going through, and losing to Brazil in quarters

George
    Participant

I think Whoever wins Group B (Spain or Netherlands) will be in the final against the winner of group G (Germany or Portugal).

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

@ddonovan1993 Sounds like you are watching the ‘anti-World Cup’, or the one for those football associations not accepted by FIFA, appropriately named the “ConIFA World Cup”! You couldn’t make it up…

There was a piece here on the Isle of Man (Ellan Vannin) attending. They fund-raised to get war-torn Darfur there with their team ‘Darfur United’. They lost 20 and 19-0, although they have probably never seen such facilities before in Sweden, with the tournament hosted by the indigenous Sami (called Laplanders in English).

The biggest team in the competition is probably Kurdistan.

Bradley Downton
    Participant

Englands warm-up games have been getting worse. If they keep up the form they’ve been showing in these, they’ll lose to Italy 2 or 3-0…

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 324 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.