Group Admins

• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of Bradley Downton

Off-topic

Public Group active 3 days, 2 hours ago

The place for off-topic discussion

BTCC Fanatic

This topic contains 48 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Keith Collantine Keith Collantine 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    Bradley Downton
    Participant

Ok, so we’ve had the first round now and Plato’s leading but thankfully Neal picked up the win in the final race after MacDowall run into in race 1. Great day from James Nash. Unfortunate for Andrew Jordan and a fantastic last race podium from the Legendary fan’s fasvourite PAUL O’NEILL :D

olliekart

U a Neal supporter?

Formula_Juan
    Participant

Good first race weekend for lil Hamilton in the Clio Cup, can see him picking up a point or two by the end of the season.

olliekart

@Juan he’s already got 9!!! :D

ajokay
    Participant

I saw half of the second race and all of the third race yesterday. There was some good racing, but it didn’t seem as ‘bump and grind’ as the BTCC normally is. I guess the Indy circuit at Brands Hatch doesn’t really lend itself to that sort of thing. Plenty of drivers getting it wrong at the Paddock Hill and Graham Hill bends, as always.

The cars look good this year too, and a lot of variety, although some teams haven’t made it to the grid. Looking forward to my favourites, the Honda Integras, taking to the track.

Hopefully Jason Plato won’t run away with it all.

Dan Thorn
    Participant

The first race had a bit of action but the second and third were a bit more tame.

Should be a good season – nice variety of cars out on track and lots of drivers looking strong, particularly Nash and Jordan, who was unlucky yesterday.

ajokay
    Participant

Donington this weekend. Looking forward to it. Hopefully I can catch more of it than I did last time. Who goes and puts opening day of the season on Mother’s Day, seriously?!

Dan Thorn
    Participant

Annoyingly I’ll be watching my recording of the Chinese GP during the afternoon, so I’ll have to tape the BTCC and watch it all back on monday. Even without the GP though the girlfriend draws the line at me watching racing for seven hours whilst she’s at home…

Doningtons straights should give more of an advantage to the turbos. Can’t see anything other than Neal winning at least two of the races as A) The Civic is quick and B) Neal loves this track…

RIISE

I agree Dan, Neal should have an advantage in that Civic, I still wouldn’t put it past Plato to get podiums or even a win over the 3 races though.

What a lazy day it will be, the GP then the best of British racing, I wonder if Nick will do any better than at Brands. Donnington is a tougher track, it will be a fine line to where he can go full throttle and have to lift, it’s all about right lines at that track.

Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

I was at Brands for the first meeting, quite a good day’s racing on the whole. Won’t be at Donington but should be at Oulton and possibly Snetterton, maybe some others too.

Ned Flanders
    Participant

I see this thread as direct competition for the rivaling WRC Fanatic. Therefore, I think it’s my duty to spam it until everyone comes to their senses and realises WRC is better.

BTCC is for losers IDEMTRUE

(Admittedly I know very little about the series, but it seems mediocre even by touring car standards. I suppose it has potential though. If DTM can be a place for former and future F1 drivers, and have lots of high profile races including a few outside of Germany, why can’t BTCC?

RIISE

Keith, i’ll be at Thruxton this year and the next Brands Race. Never been to Snetterton, going to have to try it some year.

Ned, BTCC is a series that doesn’t have the best drivers admittedly but there is something about it that lures me to watch it. I guess since I’ve always been a fan since I first saw Rydell battling with Menu back in ’97 I’ve always been hooked, it’s just pure action. I feel late 90′s and early 00′s were it’s best days since I genuinely believe the class of drivers were quite high.

Of course since funds were cut from the series the attraction for drivers in that field of Motorsport is to go to WTCC but I find BTCC much better. There are aspects that people dislike such as success ballast but it’s just part and parcel of the sport, and I think it makes the racing much better.

But WRC is ok, that’s it though. I respect the drivers immensely but watching a car go through a stage is plain boring unless you’re watching Loeb, Kimi(Mainly for the crashes, shame he’s left) or Hirvonen. I would much rather watch a grid full of touring cars battling it out than follow a glorified time trial.

Ned Flanders
    Participant

Well, this time last year I had no real interest in WRC and now I’m a bit of an addict, so maybe I will get into BTCC? I could actually watch a race for a start!..

BenH
    Participant

Well after finally getting round to watching the full days running (recorded the BTCC, F2 and Indycar on Sunday. Loads of racing to catch up on!) I think that the Turbo cars will just walk away with the season. The circuit layouts for the BTCC are predominantly speed oriented. Probably Oulton Park may be a closer one and maybe Snetterton. Anyway got my tickets booked for Croft weekend this year. First time going so should be a good one!

Bradley Downton
    Participant

@Keith & RIISE, i’ll also be at Thruxton and is it true Lewis will be there again supporting his brother as there is now a three week break to Turkey? If not, looking forward to meeting Nick anyway.

Sunday’s racing was good :), if not amazing, the first race was a little lackluster but it all kicked off in race 2. Im not Plato’s greatest fan as i think he complains too much when he’s not winning but i was a worried when i saw him roll. It was a relief to see he was ok and a fantastic effort to him back out for race 3. Congrats to Neal & Jordan on victories although i felt Mat Jackson was too agressive ending up with both Chilton & Onslow-Cole out and Nash dropping down the field. Congrats to the 2 latter drivers on a great 7th and leading the championship respectively. Unfortunate for Paul O’Neill being wiped out in race 2 by Collard. Lets hope Nash can pick up that elusive first win at Thruxton :D

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.