• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of Bradley Downton

Off-topic

Public Group active 11 hours, 24 minutes ago

The place for off-topic discussion

Car geeks: Is this you?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 7 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of GeeMac GeeMac 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Keith Collantine
    Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

Mrs F1 Fanatic read the following in a book today and thought it described me very well. Anyone else?

“Now I am of those who are affected by motor-cars: their lines thrill me, the harmony of their colour touches me, a gallant device wins my earnest admiration so that, walking along Piccadilly, I will distress my mind by being a partisan of one, a despiser of that one. Nor am I to be won by any cheap thing, no matter how brave-seeming it may be to the eye, how admirable in endurance; but I am to be won only by the simple lines, the severe and menacing aspect, of the aces among motor-cars; for economy hath charms, but not to the eye.”

The quote is from The Green Hat by Michael Arlen (1924).

I had a particularly exciting car spot earlier this week:

Profile photo of Prisoner Monkeys
    Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

I saw a Ferrari 458 Italia look very awkward as it tried to navigate the labyrinth that is the underground car park of a local shopping centre the other day.

Does that count?

Profile photo of Matthijs
    Matthijs
    Participant

Personally no. I like beautiful cars, but I like car racing more than I like the cars. I get more satisfaction in watching two Toyota’s (to name one) racing each other on a racetrack, than seeing a Ferrari drive by.

Profile photo of minnis
    minnis
    Participant

I live next to a Ferrari/Maserati dealer, so see expensive cars every day! Also, the wealthy people that use the garage often have fairly nice cars anyway (Porsches etc).

Profile photo of Lin1876
    Lin1876
    Participant

It’s not me. The last time I saw a Ferrari, my first thought was that it must be incredible to drive in the highlands where only sheep can see you, and barely paid any attention to the looks. It’s not that I don’t have opinions on how cars look, I just don’t immediately think about it. I’m very able to overlook the ghastly body kits on the Super GT cars, or the bulbousness of the DW12, for example.

Profile photo of matt90
    matt90
    Participant

This is absolutely me.

Profile photo of robk23
    robk23
    Participant

I must admit I spent part of Saturday at Brands Hatch totally engrossed in a partially disassembled F3 car. I have no idea how it all works but I love to see the engineering!

Profile photo of GeeMac
    GeeMac
    Participant

Yeah, that applies to me!

One of the great things about living in the Middle East is that there tends to be loads of exotic tin and rubber rolling round (usually driven by pretentious eejits…but hey ho). The building I used to live in in Dubai had a McLaren dealer in it, so there would always be 12C’s in the car park and an F1 showcar (the MP4-22) in the show room. Lots of drooling. That area of Duabi is now the area that is being patrolled by Dubai’s fleet of exotic police cars, which includes a Mercedes SLS AMG, Ferrari FF, Lamborghini Aventador and an Aston Martin One-77 amongst others (see this link http://www.autoblog.com/2013/05/06/dubai-police-aston-martin-one-77-bentley-sls-amg/).

Though I’m not a fan, I did tail a Veyron for about 20 minutes on Sheikh Zayed Road once. It was the first one I’d ever seen so I was fairly excited. They are so much more good looking in the flesh, the one I saw was blue and white, just perfect.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.