Group Admins

• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of Bradley Downton

Off-topic

Public Group active 3 days, 10 hours ago

The place for off-topic discussion

CERN 99.9999% certain they’ve found the Higgs Boson

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of AndrewTanner AndrewTanner 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of AndrewTanner
    AndrewTanner
    Participant

http://public.web.cern.ch/public/

Absolutely brilliant news. As far as I can gather the data does not point directly to the theorised Higgs Boson but shares many, many characteristics. The findings are not absolutely definitive and other results will have to be analysed to be certain the finding remains at Sigma 5 but it looks promising.

I’ve kept an eye on CERN since I first heard about it when I was 16/17 and I’ve always found it fascinating. Microscopic physics is just so counter-intuitive but I love it!

Even if this is not the Higgs, finding something new is certainly interesting and especially after it has only been operational a couple of years (with a huge breakdown thrown in) it is a huge testament to the men and women who have plugged away underground to fill the gaps in the Standard Model.

…so what can we do now that we couldn’t before this?

Profile photo of Dave
    Dave
    Participant

Well according to the Red Bull Racing Spy on twitter “Adrian Newey has a jar full of Higgs Bosons. He uses it as a paperweight.”

Profile photo of necrodethmortem
    necrodethmortem
    Participant

@magnificent-geoffrey These are scientists, not engineers ;)

Profile photo of Guilherme
    Guilherme
    Participant

I just find it beautiful when they find evidence after the theory. You know, that’s a huge leap of faith to say “in order for this theory to hold up, we need to find this and that subatomic particle”, and then they set about to search for it and eventually find it. It’s just like when they theorized the neutrinos, and only found the first one decades later. To understand the whole without all the pieces must take a brilliant mind :)

Profile photo of robbiepblake
    robbiepblake
    Participant

So, was CERN just a big sofa, and the Higgs-Boson covered in fluff down the back?

Profile photo of AndrewTanner
    AndrewTanner
    Participant

Kind of @driftin but imagine that the closer you get to the fluff, the harder it gets to find.

Ironically, sub-atomic particles tend to jump around when you use various methods of detection so they’re hard to find.

CERN gave us the web @magnificent-Geoffrey so you could argue that they’ve already given us enough but the actual application of quarks is already in effect with the invention of the transistor. It should make for a better understanding of dimensions and string theory which could explain dark matter, which is the majority of the universe.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.