Group Admins

• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of Bradley Downton

Off-topic

Public Group active 1 day, 4 hours ago

The place for off-topic discussion

Favourite books and authors

This topic contains 14 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of DamionShadows DamionShadows 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of raymondu999
    raymondu999
    Participant

Reading has always been a hobby of mine, and is one of my favorite pastimes as I immerse myself into a peaceful world of nothingness during my reading. So – just wondering. Is anyone reading anything good at the moment? Any favorite authors/books?

I like a lot of the classics – the Dickens pieces, Orwell, Dumas, Defoe… and I also like the old-style science fiction in HG Wells and Jules Verne.

For more contemporary works, I’m a fan of Grisham’s style.

So, your favorite books and authors?

Profile photo of Keith Collantine
    Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

I’ve been meaning to read some HG Wells. What would you recommend as a starting point?

I don’t read as much fiction as I should. I think Day of the Triffids was the last non-factual book I read, and I really enjoyed it.

Besides the steady drip of F1 book reviews you’ll have seen on the site I generally read a lot of historical and factual stuff. I’ve recently finished Robert Dallek’s Nixon/Kissinger, Jonathan Kay’s Among the Truthers and a book on 9/11 called “The Eleventh Day”. And a book on 19th-century European history I got out of the library which I’ve forgotten the name of!

But with the state of the F1 calendar over the next two months I’m not expecting to get much more reading done until November.

Profile photo of Girts
    Girts
    Participant

@raymondu999

It looks like we have similar preferences when talking about the literature classics! Dickens’ Oliver Twist is probably my all-time favourite. Verne’s Captain Grant’s Children is in my top 5, too. I have read Dumas a lot, too. I reread his Ascanio again this year. Orwell’s Animal Farm is great, too.

Over the last years, I’ve been reading different books in different languages about very different topics, such as fantasy (Harry Potter, Twilight), F1, German politics, travelling through Germany, social problems etc.

The best book that I’ve read during the last two years is A Life Too Short: The Tragic Story of Robert Enke, a touching story about the great German football goalkeeper, who committed suicide in 2009 after trying to fight his depression.

Right now I’m considering reading the third part of the Twilight series (Eclipse), though I still cannot understand how Bella could prefer Edward over Jacob :D

Profile photo of raymondu999
    raymondu999
    Participant

@keithcollantine I guess that’s the drawback of covering such a fast paced sport eh? HG Wells wise, you absolutely cannot go wrong with “The Time Machine.”

On the surface it might seem just another sci-fi based fantasy, but in reality, it’s an absolutely beautiful piece written based on a time traveller hoping that in the future, an enlightened race of humans would produce a utopian reality, but finds out that man’s greed and capitalism has triumphed and instead creates this almost dystopian reality – and the time traveller watches in horror as the future simply is a repeat of history. Absolutely world-class book. After Time Machine, I’d rate his “The Invisible Man” or “The War of the Worlds”

@Girts I have to admit fantasy isn’t my favorite genre. I’m not a fan of the magic stuff. The only reason I have contact with the Twilight series is to keep the girlfriend happy!

On the subject of Dickens, I personally rate “Great Expectations” and “A Tale of Two Cities” as better than “Oliver Twist,” but I have heard from friends that “Bleak House” takes those two in the nadgers without even breaking a sweat, though I have never read it myself.

Profile photo of tmekt
    tmekt
    Participant

Currently in the middle of reading Stephen King’s The Wind Through the Keyhole. Haven’t touched it since about a month ago, though. Just haven’t had the time.

I read Crime And Punishment earlier this year, was kind of impressive in its own way. I do see why it’s considered a classic.

Profile photo of James_mc
    James_mc
    Participant

I like historical fiction a lot. Not read too much fiction of late, but I could never ever recommend Colleen McCulough’s “The Masters of Rome” series highly enough (or “Sharpe” by Cornwell!).

I’ve managed to get addicted to Game of Thrones however recently though…

Profile photo of matt90
    matt90
    Participant

I’m only reading Stephen King at the moment- he has so many books that it’s hard to move on to anything different! I finished the Dark Tower series a few months ago, so am planning to read The Wind Through the Keyhole myself soon, nd am looking forward to Ron Howard’s film of it when he finishes Rush. I particularly enjoyed The Stand, It, and The Green Mile. I still need to read Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption- the trouble is that because it is a short story, you have to commit to buying several other stories with it.

Profile photo of DamionShadows
    DamionShadows
    Participant

@matt90 I’m a Stephen King fan myself! Duma Key is probably my favorite of his, with Eye of the Dragon being a close second. Other than that, I’ve just finished reading Halo: Glasslands. It’s a good book to read if you’re into Halo as much as I am, but the ending was AWFUL (kind of like Halo 2, it didn’t end as much as it just stopped). I’m also into anything zombie related, such as Day by Day Armageddon.

And as far as non-fiction is concerned, “Go Like Hell” is about all i’ve read in the past couple of years. It’s hard to believe that so many great names took place in the Ford vs. Ferrari duel!

Profile photo of matt90
    matt90
    Participant

@DamionShadows Those are two that I haven’t read actually. Including the Dark Tower series I must have read over 15 books of his over the last few years, but I’ve still got a few of his recent ones to go- I’m just starting 11.22.63, and then there’s Under the Dome- as well as some of his classics- notably Carrie, Christine and Pet Semetary. Tommyknockers was what I read last, and I really enjoyed that.

Profile photo of pH
    pH
    Participant

@keithcollantine Did you read “Empire” by Niall Ferguson? If not, give it a try, definitely a thought-provoking book.
    I also recommend Churchill’s memoirs “My Early Life”, he is remarkably candid about his, well, moments that were not exactly honorable, like getting preferential treatment thanks to his family’s influence. I actually respect him a lot, although we would not agree on quite a few topics.

There are many books I really like, so purely by random I’d recommend “Mockingbird” by Walter Tevis, a book with real depth and a sad+powerful vision of future that might well come true. I also enjoyed “City” by Clifford Simac a lot, although that path seems to be closed to mankind with the decline of space program.

Profile photo of Younger Hamii
    Younger Hamii
    Participant

@DamionShadows I’m a fan of Halo as well, are the books actually good? I play the games & I’m a reading enthusiast myself so I was just wondering…

Profile photo of Prisoner Monkeys
    Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

I’m an English teacher, so I read pretty much anything and everything that crosses my path. I’m a big fan of mystery fiction and early Matthew Reilly. Some of his later stuff – particularly the Jack West trilogy – have been rather poor, but his latestet one was okay. I’d certainly recommend Temple to anyone looking for a good page-turner. The basic premise is that a professor of languages gets recruited to help a secret government project track down a mythical Incan idol in the jungles of Peru. Their only clue is a manuscript written by a Spanish monk who committed treason during the conquest of South America, which acts as a map for the expedition to follow. The story bounces back and forth between the two timelines, with the events of one often affecting the outcomes of the other. It’s quite violent and bloody in places, and it’s never going to be accepted as high literature, but it’s very cleverly-executed and a lot of fun at times.

Profile photo of Cornflakes
    Cornflakes
    Participant

I’m a fan of non-fiction work, especially books that cover complex and fascinating subjects in an easy-going and layman friendly way. I’ve just read a book about the history of Britain and am soon starting Death by Black Hole by Neil deGrasse Tyson, as well as The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins. I hear both are excellent.

Bill Bryson books are also a safe bet, especially A Short History of Nearly Everything and his latest book, House.

I really should start reading more fiction.

Profile photo of Pelican
    Pelican
    Participant

I’m in bed sick with a cold, and it’s supposed to rain all weekend. I’ll happily take suggestions.

Profile photo of DamionShadows
    DamionShadows
    Participant

@younger-hamii The only ones i’ve read are The Fall of Reach, Ghosts of Onyx, and Glasslands. The first two are written by Eric Nylund, who I happen to like. The Fall of Reach tells the story of the Master Chief from when he was abducted for the Spartan-II program all the way up to the beginning of the first Halo game. Ghosts of Onyx starts roughly at the beginning of the Spartan-III program on the planet Onyx and ends when everyone finds out that it was a shield-world, from which point Glasslands starts and follows the path of Dr. Halsey and others.

That’s about as short of a summary I could write without spoiling too much or boring everyone else, lol. I don’t care to read many video game novels, but I really enjoyed those three in particular. I’d recommend reading them if you’re into the Halo back-story as much as I am.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.