Group Admins

• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of Bradley Downton

Off-topic

Public Group active 5 days, 2 hours ago

The place for off-topic discussion

GP2 Asia

This topic contains 16 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Bleu Bleu 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Bradley Downton
    Participant

Just a thought, now that the F1 race in Bahrain has been cancelled/postponed, i take it that means the GP2 Asia series will just end now as surely they won’t prolong it until later in the season, so does that mean Jules Bianchi is the two race champion?

sw6569
    Participant

I guess you are right. Equally though, can’t see any of the teams holding much weight to the championship :p

Bradley Downton
    Participant

Bit of a cheap Championship really? although i cant see him turning it down haha

sw6569
    Participant

Will Buxton just commented on his twitter that he thinks he must be the champion!

ajokay
    Participant

I said that and congratulated Jules a few days ago on Twitter.

I question the integrity of a continental-wide championship that consists of only three times two lots of races in only two countries in the first place. The two tracks are only a couple of hundred miles apart as it goes.

It’s like holding two races at Thruxton, one at Croft, and calling the winner The Champion of Europe, even though the Thruxton races were cancelled because they hadn’t cut the grass.

If you’re going to have an Asian version of the 2nd most important single seater series in the world, at least have it spread across the whole of Asia, and have at least 10 rounds (rounds, not individual races)

Rant over.

Bradley Downton
    Participant

Ajokay i completely agree

AndrewTanner
    Participant

I agree they should expand on just two circuits. I was looking forward to some GP2 but guess I’ll have to wait until Turkey.

Fixy
    Participant

Good Jules, keep improving till Ferrari days!

Icthyes
    Participant

Why can’t the GP2 Asia series follow the F1 races? Bahrain (normally), Australia, Malaysia, China and then a big break until Singapore, Korea and Japan. Or make it two separate championships.

US_Peter
    Participant

Since the teams are basically the same anyhow, it would make more sense if they would just combine the GP2 Asia and main series and have it be a more comprehensive series with support at most F1 races… As it was this year, turned out to be a bit of a joke.

newnhamlea1

Or, run it through the winter, so you have singapore as the first round and china as the last with maybe some non-f1 venues in the gap

damonsmedley
    Participant

@Icthyes I would love it if GP2 came to Melbourne. The support races at the Grand Prix are rather unexciting. When the F1 sessions end, the ‘V8 Supercars’ come out and there’s around 200 people left at the circuit. I am sure everyone would want to watch GP2 if it were there, given how exciting their races are.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

The problem with GP2 Asia is that it’s very expensive to fly everything out to every race. Back when GP2 Asia went to Indonesia and Malaysia and China, the teams were probably spending more than they did on a standard GP2 Series season.

AndrewTanner
    Participant

Fair point PM.

Fixy
    Participant

And that would leave no break between the end of GP2 Asia and the start of GP2.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.