Group Admins

• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of Bradley Downton

Off-topic

Public Group active 2 weeks, 3 days ago

The place for off-topic discussion

Help needed – Alain Prost and his influence on French motorsport

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Tom L. Tom L. 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of PieLighter
    PieLighter
    Participant

For the speaking assessment in my French AS Level, I’ve decided to talk about French motorsport, and Alain Prost is obviously a key figure, but I need some help thinking of things to talk about (and research links). Things like, how he inspired modern French F1 drivers (as Schumacher did in Germany). How he’s orchestrating the return of F1 to a grand prix circuit in France. How the sport changed with his arrival. Was he involved in Le Mans?
    The main thing is to link motorsport to France in general, and the French culture.
    Help would be greatly appreciated.

Profile photo of Michael
    Michael
    Participant

I’d be curious to see what other people have to say about this because I would have expected more French involvement in F1 or motorsports as a result of having had a driver like Alain Prost. Of course the same could be said of Argentina’s Juan Manuel Fangio.

If we look at some other countries and drivers, they have a disproportionate amount of influence and presence in F1:

– Finland (Mika Hakkinen, Keke Rosberg, Kimi Raikonnen, Heikki Kovalainen)
    – Germany (Schumacher, Vettel, Nico Rosberg, Hulkenberg, Adrian Sutil)
    – England (the list of drivers is endless and it’s also where most teams are located)
    – Brazil (Emerson Fittipaldi, Nelson Piquet, Ayrton Senna, Rubens Barrichello, Felipe Massa, Bruno Senna)

Finland is absolutely incredible – They have had 8 drivers and 4 WDC championships between the 8 drivers. It’s like Swedish tennis champions…

Profile photo of PieLighter
    PieLighter
    Participant

As a French manufacturer, it will be relevant to also talk about how Renault’s involvement changed the sport (like how they ushered in the turbo era).
    Again, I need to be able to link it to France, not just saying “XYZ did this and they were French” but how it impacted France as a whole.

Profile photo of Tom L.
    Tom L.
    Participant

It might be interesting to talk about the Prost GP team, seeing as it was (at least initially) intended as a French “national team” in the Force India/HRT mould: the idea behind the project and how/why it failed.

This article has some interesting perspectives: http://cfm.globalf1.net/?page_id=140

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.