• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of Bradley Downton

Off-topic

Public Group active 2 days, 1 hour ago

The place for off-topic discussion

How much would SOPA, PIPA etc… affect F1 Fanatic

Tagged: , , ,

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of  Anonymous 2 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Im asking this cause, as I was told this new policies deal with copyright issues and this website uses free information delivered on internet by teams F1 itself and another F1Fanatic associates.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

It doesn’t matter – SOPA and PIPA are dead.

manatcna
    Participant

I wouldn’t be too sure about “Dead”

Alianora La Canta
    Participant

If they had gone through, the definition of “foreign site” was such that f1fanatic.co.uk would have been classified as a “foreign site”, and therefore potentially subject to blocking in the USA if anyone on that IP had put anything infringing a copyright recognised in the USA. This would have applied irrespective of whether the material had been posted by Keith, a commenter – or another, totally unrelated site that happened to be sharing the same IP.

The law would also have given the courts power to demand any US-based search engine delist any site which had been blocked under SOPA/PIPA. This would be a local problem… …except that all three of the major search engines on the internet (Google, Yahoo! and MSN) are based in America. Given how woolly the law had been written, they might have been able to list an offending site on their non-US search engine, but that would be a long shot. Search engines bring a substantial amount of new traffic, so this would have been a big problem had SOPA or PIPA decided to block F1 Fanatic.

It is worth emphasising at this point that US law would have been used to determine whether copyright was breached – and someone from my part of the UK recently lost an extradition case to the USA for merely linking to copyrighted content (albeit on a substantial scale). Since it is easier to block a site than extradite its owner, I would expect the threshold to be lower. No “grace period” was set for removing offending content before the block was set, so no amount of post-moderating vigilence on Keith’s part would have been a guarantee of protection (even assuming every other site sharing F1 Fanatic’s IP had been equally vigilant).

I can say with confidence that f1fanatic.co.uk would have been classified as a “foreign site” because its primary top-level domain is not one distributed by a US registrar (such as .com, .org or .edu). As the SOPA/PIPA legislation was written in this draft, issues such as server and owner location were not considered. To clarify, a site on a top-level domain distributed by a US registrar would have been assumed to be “domestic” and not subject This would have led to some strange classifications. For example, my blog would have been classified as “domestic” and F1 Fanatic as “foreign” despite Keith and I being equally British (and thus logically both “foreign” from a US perspective).

These were not well-written laws. They would have led to big problems for F1 Fanatic and many, many other sites had they gone through. Thankfully the threat has gone – for now.

Lord Stig
    Participant

If SOPA/PIPA were enacted as written it very well could effect F1Fanatic.co.uk. The real risk is that in the live blogs people openly share links to streams which violate the copyrights of FOM and the broadcaster. Under current law, which is the DMCA, the site is not responsible for users actions as long as they remove it. SOPA could change all of that. This would create a massive compliance structure which Keith would have the manage.

Note: I have not read the text of the legislation or am a Lawyer so my post may not be entirely correct

Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

I haven’t really got anything to add to what @Alianora-La-Canta said. A travesty of a piece of legislation, happily it now seems to be dead.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

A travesty of a piece of legislation, happily it now seems to be dead.

It felt like it was written by people who didn’t really understand the problem, but because it was a problem, they thought that made them experts on the subject.

I think that the idea behind SOPA had merit. Online piracy is a problem (ever since it was put to rest, I’ve seen an alarming number of people who seem to think that they now have a right to pirate film and music, showing that the protestors understand SOPA about as much as the people who came up with it). But its execution was farcical to say the least. This is something that should have been addressed a decade ago, at least.

Stephen Jones
    Participant

well we’ve still got ACTA.. which may make more of an impact here than SOPA would have

Anonymous

I wouldn’t say dead because it will be subject of further analysis in February, I understand what you’re saying but the US tends to get their way through on everything especially on middle east sites the ones that end with .eg;.kw;.pk;.sa and so on
    just joking off course. anyways thanks @Alianora-La-Canta.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.