Group Admins

• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of Bradley Downton

Off-topic

Public Group active 2 days, 18 hours ago

The place for off-topic discussion

Is Stupid Football Thing dying?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of PJ PJ 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Prisoner Monkeys
    Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Uh-oh:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/95318

Superleague Formula was always a weird beast, but it somehow started to gain traction; last year’s season was actually fairly competitive. But this year, they’ve gone and changed things to fit the old A1GP model, and it’s starting to go down the proverbial gurgler. Where the 2010 season had dozens of cars and a twelve-round championship, the organisers have been forced to cancel six of the eight planned rounds of the championship – 75% of the calendar.

So, is the bell tolling for Superleague? And will anyone miss it if it is?

Profile photo of Klon
    Klon
    Participant

Well, I wouldn’t say I’d miss it but at least it had something unique going, which is more than can be said of a large number of other (self-proclaimed) feeder series.

Profile photo of mantolwen
    mantolwen

I watched the first two rounds of the series, and it has been very disappointing each time a race has been knocked off the calendar this year. New Zealand I can understand, but the others… It has a unique format, and it will be disappointing to lose it.

Profile photo of BasCB
    BasCB
    Participant

I saw that article as well, and had exactly the same impression as PM, this is a championship going bust

Not sure if I will miss it or not, but the V12 cars they used made for great listening.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I thought you meant actual football at first…what a disappointment this now is :P

Yes, it is and no, I won’t. I was interested back in 08 I think it was. It was kind of crazy, very crazy, but I still thought it could be good or at least fun. Now though, you’re right, it’s floundering and I don’t see it saving itself.

Profile photo of Prisoner Monkeys
    Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

I saw that article as well, and had exactly the same impression as PM, this is a championship going bust

The format changes that they made for this year were completely unnecessary. Last yar was successful, and while the football-formula racing mash-up was quirky at best, the series had been established long enough that it could be followed. But 2011 saw poitnless format and sporting changes that just set them back. There were less races, less cars on the grid and less teams.

Profile photo of PJ
    PJ
    Participant

I found coverage to be a bit odd. I don’t have Eurosport so I can’t comment on whether they had SLF or not, but it was always on Bloomberg for some reason.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.