Group Admins

• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of Bradley Downton

Off-topic

Public Group active 2 days, 9 hours ago

The place for off-topic discussion

KONY 2012

This topic contains 18 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of James_mc James_mc 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    JPedroCQF1
    Participant

Recently, this movie (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4MnpzG5Sqc) is being spread on Facebook and Twitter. I recommend you to watch the movie and share with our friends, so that Joseph Kony can be stopped.

The point of the movie is to raise awareness of the crimes that Joseph Kony commits so that the US keep their motivation to find Kony.

Victor.
    Participant

My uni has gone crazy about it during the last two days, so I’ll just post what I posted on my friend’s facebook page cause I’m too tired to rephrase it:

‘As much as I think it is a noble cause, it is VERY much jumping on the bandwagon as has been said. I do understand and accept that this is the whole point of it, yet it does scream herd instinct when you start to actively promote something after having watched a 30 minute film without really having cared before. Assuming we all knew who Kony was before this film, it speaks little of us that we start to promote it now that it’s become what it has. The film is clearly propagandist in nature (I mean that in a observational rather than a pejorative sense) and I fail to see why I, who am relatively ignorant about the subject (I know who Kony is and what he represents, and importantly, THE FILM DOES NOT TELL YOU ANYTHING MORE) should now all of a sudden promote it.

This is not to say I won’t share the film, and knowing myself I probably will, but the ‘OMG, we have to do something about this’ attitude is reminiscent of the excitement of little girls. I guess one could argue that it now ‘matters’, but the truth is it only does so because some guy felt like doing something towards that and hats off to him. Why I should pretend to care more now than I did before, however, I am not entirely sure of…’

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

I’m sorry your friend feels that way, @victor – it reeks of cynicism. The ability to tell when a person is lying to you is a very useful one. But to be proud of the way you assume everyone is lying to you as a matter of course (ie being cynical) is not. If KONY 2012 fails, then no doubt your friend will still be pointing out that nothing was done twenty-five years from now, even though they had an opportunity to change things now.

Klon
    Participant

@prisoner-monkeys
    Being cynical is a virtue, not a flaw – it allows you to see things the way they are.

Well, I for my part wouldn’t want to have anything to do with this. It’s a waste of time for me to get involved, since my involvement does not have any influence at all. Furthermore, as some critics have rightfully pointed out it’s nothing more than First World arrogance, justifying the awful things our daily demands cause in Africa by saying “Oh, but we’re fighting with you against the evil people on your continent.”

Estesark
    Participant

There are compelling reasons to support the movement and remove Joseph Kony from his position of power. There are also, however, reasons to be cynical about supporting the Invisible Children organisation, and reasons to want to stay clear of the bandwagon.

I just think people should do some proper research on the subject, even if it’s just reading a few articles from both sides of the story, before they preach about it. I’ve seen a lot of calls to “re-evaluate your life”, for example if you don’t know who Joseph Kony is. That’s nothing but a guilt trip, and I bet most people writing/retweeting it didn’t know who he was yesterday either.

raymondu999

@Klon being critical is a virtue. Cynical is not necessarily the same thing.

As for @Victor ‘s friend – I’m sorry – but if he says “why hasn’t anyone done anything before, if they knew already?” (people should have done something as soon as they knew) Then I fail to see why he’s not going to the stance of “now we know; let’s do something.” That seems somewhat hypocritical to me. (I never knew of this in the past – so I’m not going to do anything about it).

There was a movie about Kony a while back too – Machine Gun Preacher starring Gerard Butler.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

@Klon – Cynicism is not a virtue, though a lot of young people seem to think it is. Cynicism is is an attitude or state of mind characterized by a general distrust of other’s apparent motives, or a general lack of faith or hope in the human race, and it is a form of jaded negativity. Nothing about that is good.

raymondu999

Yep. What @prisoner-monkeys said. Being CRITICAL; can be a virtue.

I completely agree with @Prisoner-Monkeys about cyncism and I think it’s great to see the world coming together like this to stand against the horrors of forced deployment of child soldiers in African conflicts.

However, having said that, I have serious reservations about this campaign by Invisible Children. Not because I am against the cause in any way, it’s just that I’ve read and seen some rather worrying things about the charity themselves and how they operate which suggests that they are not the bastions of freedom and justice that they make themselves out to be.

Article from 2006 criticising Invisible Children.

Tumblr page expressing concern about the charity.

Reddit comment outlining similar concerns about the charity.

Various posts on NeoGAF suggesting this group is pretty shady.

And there’s this video that I saw this morning, which also casts the group in a pretty bad light:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvqFi_HRPmk&feature=share

I am not trying to put people off from trying to raise awareness about the issue of child soldiers, but I think it’s important to point out that there are a number of legitimate concerns about how this charity operate too. The video is a great piece of marketing, but if that’s all it is – marketing – then I have an issue with that.

Asanator
    Participant

It’s all a bit out of date isn’t it?

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

I’m disappointed that I’ve seen so many cynical responses to KONY 2012. I can understand caution, and I can understand criticism, but it seems that a lot of the cynical responses are aimed at finding flaws in the logic behind the charity, as if the people looking for them are doing so because then they will feel less-guilty about ignoring Kony and his atrocities. That is, of course, a cynical view to take.

The people at Invisible Children obviously have their agenda in making this – but so too do the critics. I watched the video posted by @magnificent-geoffrey and the first thing that struck me is that the creator was out to prove a point of his own. I’ve heard that statistics about how only 31% of the money Invisible Children raises goes to Uganda, and that’s a pretty dramatic claim to make, suggesting that the other 69% somehow vanishes. But I’ve also heard that Invisible Children is an advocacy group, so a lot of the money they raise goes back into continuing their campaigns in America. And I’m pretty sure you’ll get similar figures from any advocacy group.

At the end of the day, I think that what this really boils down to is how people feel about Invisible Children trying to use social media to promote a cause. And I think some people respond to it so poorly because they just don’t want to see it plastered all over Facebook and Twitter every time they log on.

sam3110
    Participant

I must admit that I hadn’t the fainest idea who this man was, and KONY 2012 has told me something about him, and I then delved into the internet to find out more. I think using social media to push the problem to the front of world news is a great idea, Twitter in particular is used in world news so much now, all the time on Sky Sports News they use quotes etc. from players on Twitter, and it is the quickest way to get news out there. Whilst being in the UK means I ultimately have little influence on this, I will be spreading the message to everyone in the hope that more people of power can do something about this. We headhunted Hussein, Bin Laden, Gaddaffi and no doubt would have headhunted Jong-Il if he didn’t pop his clogs, so I firmly believe Kony should also be stopped.

All this talk about the First World interfering in the Third World? It’s ridiculous. I am sure if they could sort it out themselves then they would have by now, and I’m sure if they didn’t have a problem with what he is doing then this would be met with much more resistance than it has

Klon
    Participant

I’m disappointed that I’ve seen so many cynical responses to KONY 2012. I can understand caution, and I can understand criticism, but it seems that a lot of the cynical responses are aimed at finding flaws in the logic behind the charity, as if the people looking for them are doing so because then they will feel less-guilty about ignoring Kony and his atrocities. That is, of course, a cynical view to take.

I’d be careful with that argument since it can be turned around easily. Ahem…

I’m disappointed that I’ve seen so many idealistic responses to KONY 2012. I can understand trust, and I can understand optimism, but it seems that a lot of the idealistic responses are aimed at not finding flaws in the logic behind the charity, as if the people not looking for them are doing so because then they will feel less-guilty about ignoring other awful things happening in Africa which stoppage would actually cost them something such as the Shell oil drilling in Nigeria or the low wages of cacao farmers.

Colossal Squid
    Participant

@Klon Very nicely done sir!

I’d side with the cynics on this one. Becoming aware of the plight of your fellow man is to be encouraged. However the amount of attention that this video has caused, and the number of people on facebook going ‘gosh, isn’t this terrible?’ is not going to impact the situation. Facebook activism is possibly the lowest form of social awareness. Will the vast, vast majority of people who share this link or watch this video ever DO anything to stop the terrible atrocities? No. It infuriates me to see so many hypocritical people criticise others for their pragmatic view over this KONY 2012 business, while they themselves will do little more than ‘like’ a facebook page, status or video and pretend they’re part of some grand movement bringing about real change.

Lemon
    Participant

@Klon
    Yes but in doing so you are contradicting the very philosophy of what prisonermonkeys was trying to convey. Basically falling into the trap of making a forcibly cynical remark on the subject without assessing what’s actually there, and this is what many people have been doing. It’s part of human nature to question, but some comments I have seen are by people rushing to conclusions, . Generally going out of their way so to not feel like one of the ‘flock of sheep’ but in doing so avoid making a rounded and well guided response. essentially making themselves feel superior or as if they have one up on everyone else by suggesting we should doubt the motives of Invisiblechildren. and yes in some ways I agree you should take everything you hear with a pinch of salt, but do so by using an unbiased, logical thought process to make a balanced assumption. after all what more can you do on a subject that you know little about? ..Even in the video above the speaker seems to divert from logic to suggest that we should have doubts. Now I’m in no way an expert on the financial models of charities, but in order for a charity to expand it’s reaches and as a result increase its income. It’s going to need to spend the majority of what it takes on awareness programs and all that intales (especially given the number of sales they are likely to make on their promotional goods). Kind of like an investment being made into the potential of increasing what can then be distributed to their cause. And you can’t doubt that investment has paid off given the amount of people willingly giving support all over the internet.

To the arguement ‘why now, why 2012, why not ten years ago’. I ask you this; was the prospective range and influence of social media on first world societies great enough to create such a storm ten years ago? was there a means in place to exploit that? I can answer that for you, in short no.. Maybe not even four or five years ago.. Beside this there is a simple explanation to why this is happening in 2012 as quoted from a Q&A article from the creator of Invisiblechildren:
    “Why this year?
    In the last 9 years of trying to end the war, the puzzle pieces have not been aligned like they are now. When Obama deployed the advisory troops in October, it was a shock. My psyche was stunned; I never thought that the government could or would actually do it. The fact that they did do it and that advisors are there now, makes the end of this war totally possible but it’s very time-sensitive. Everyone that’s been working on the conflict from Senator Inhofe to Resolve to John Prendergast know that it has to be 2012 because by the time it turns 2013, the advisors would have been there [some might say] too long.”
    Elsewhere I’ve found him state that it’s supposed to be set up like a mock presidential candidates campaign, which explains the nature of the graphics and imagery behind the campaign and the tagline ‘KONY2012’. As well as why it’s specifically this year.

In answer to @MagnificentGeoffrey , Yes it is marketing, it’s a very well thought out and well planned marketing stunt and you can’t deny that they have succeeded in raising awareness for their cause.. I won’t try to go into detail but every aspect of this campaign from the video to the wristband you get in their ‘action kit’ has been produced in a way so to exploit the feeling of unity and righteousness human beings have from rising against an opposing party who are at wrong. And the desire to feel involved. But if all of the well thought out marketing schemes are in the end leading to a good cause, then where’s the problem with that?
    and as a general conclusion not aimed at any one in particular rather aimed at the conspiracy theorists in general.. who are you to accuse this charity of wrong doing? When you (as I) know little about it. I’ll eat my hat if it turns out there is anything suspicious about this charity, and at the present moment from our end of the internet there isn’t enough evidence to suggest there is anything suspicious about it. There can only be speculation.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.