Group Admins

• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of Bradley Downton

Off-topic

Public Group active 1 day, 7 hours ago

The place for off-topic discussion

Malware on F1Fanatic?

This topic contains 15 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Keith Collantine Keith Collantine 2 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    FullSpe3d
    Participant

Today I logged on to my computer, I was using chrome visiting F1Fanatic as usual when a warning sign popped up, warning me that there was malware on the site. Is this an error?

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

I would say so. You can actually pull up a diagnostic from your browser, showing why the browser intervened. The diagnostic reveals the site is clear – no suspicious activity, no hosted malware; nothing for the past nienty days (and as someone who has been here for years, I can safely say it has never been a problem). It’s probably just your browser being cautious.

Anonymous

It’s happened to me today too. Thanks for the info PM

Same thing has happened to me and Steph and DanThorn. I blame it on the Ferrari fans.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

I believe I have found the problem. I closed my browser, and re-opened it. I got the same message again, so I made sure to copy and paste the diagnosis. This is what Google reported:

Safe Browsing

Diagnostic page for http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk

What is the current listing status for http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk?

Site is listed as suspicious – visiting this website may harm your computer.

What happened when Google visited this site?

Of the 18 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 0 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2011-09-11, and suspicious content was never found on this site within the past 90 days.

This site was hosted on 1 network(s) including AS13213 (UK2NET).

Has this site acted as an intermediary resulting in further distribution of malware?

Over the past 90 days, http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk did not appear to function as an intermediary for the infection of any sites.

Has this site hosted malware?

No, this site has not hosted malicious software over the past 90 days.

How did this happen?

In some cases, third parties can add malicious code to legitimate sites, which would cause us to show the warning message.

Next steps:

- Return to the previous page.

- If you are the owner of this website, you can request a review of your site using Google Webmaster Tools. More information about the review process is available in Google’s Webmaster Help Centre.

Updated 2 hours ago

The problem appaers to be the network listed as AS13213 (UK2NET). I got a diagnosis on it, and the results are less than rosy:

Safe Browsing

Diagnostic page for AS13213 (UK2NET)

What happened when Google visited sites hosted on this network?

Of the 14808 site(s) we tested on this network over the past 90 days, 190 site(s) served content that resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent.

The last time Google tested a site on this network was on 2011-10-01, and the last time suspicious content was found was on 2011-10-01.

Has this network hosted sites acting as intermediaries for further malware distribution?

Over the past 90 days, we found 11 site(s) on this network that appeared to function as intermediaries for the infection of 145 other site(s).

Has this network hosted sites that have distributed malware?

Yes, this network has hosted sites that have distributed malicious software in the past 90 days. We found 19 site(s) that infected 121 other site(s).

Updated 2 hours ago

As you can see, the problem appears to be the network F1 Fanatic is hosted on – some websites that are also hosted on the same network (I’ve redacted the URLs) have been caught by Google’s security arm. as you can see, there have been 230 reported incidents from 14808 sites tested – a little over one and a half percent of sites hosted on the AS13213 (UK2NET) have been involved in the distribution of malware. I’d hazard a guess to say that any of the other 14807 sites tested by Google’s security client on this network are getting the same or similar messages.

There’s not much we can do about it for now; the diagnosis page for the blog says that the webmaster is the only one who can request a review of the page.

Dan Thorn
    Participant

Same thing has happened to me and Steph and DanThorn. I blame it on the Ferrari fans.

OFFICIAL: MAG IS A FERRARI FAN

Thanks for the info though, PM. Appreciated!

Journeyer
    Participant

Ah, so it’s not just me. Thanks! Hope it goes away soon.

James_mc
    Participant

Aah I was going to post something similar, I got the same message

Dan, that is a very serious allegation and one that I am prepared to refute in a civil court. You’ll be hearing from my lawyers.

Anonymous

Thanks very much for looking into it PM!

“OFFICIAL: MAG IS A FERRARI FAN” Dan you’ve made my year.

Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

Thank you for the information but please use the contact form to supply information like this – it gets to me much quicker.

Reporting a technical problem

Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

I am investigating the problem at the moment however Google have supplied no details about it whatsoever.

Their own warning says “0 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2011-09-11, and suspicious content was never found on this site within the past 90 days. [...] Over the past 90 days, http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk did not appear to function as an intermediary for the infection of any sites. [...] this site has not hosted malicious software over the past 90 days.”

Google Webmaster Tools reveals no information about the problem despite them saying in several places that when malicious software is detected on a site it is reported here.

If you have noticed anything further that could explain the problem, please do let me know.

mnmracer
    Participant

@Keith

I’m actually glad that it’s discussed, because I wondered the exact same thing when I just came here, and I can’t be the only one. At least there’s an answer now.

Fixy
    Participant

Might be a coincidence, but the ad on the top of the page is blank, i.e. not working, and no side ads appear.

Frans
    Participant

@Fixy

nope, it isn’t a coincidence… check the link here http://t.co/et0ju4WK and read the bottom part.

Btw, a couple of minutes ago I tried to visit f1fanatic and indeed my browser (firefox) throw a warning. I choose to ignore it and I believe it gave me another warning screen which I can choose something like “mark this sites as safe” (It wasn’t worded like that! but it essentially telling the “authority” that this site is safe). Whether or not it just a simple white list for my PC or it affects others I don’t know. But subsequent visit to f1fanatic, firefox didn’t gave me any warning.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.