Group Admins

• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of Bradley Downton

Off-topic

Public Group active 12 hours, 31 minutes ago

The place for off-topic discussion

McLaren P1 – successor to the McLaren F1 – revealed

This topic contains 54 replies, has 34 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of R.J. O'Connell R.J. O’Connell 2 weeks, 2 days ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 46 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Keith Collantine
    Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

McLaren claim the P1 has lapped the Nurburgring Nordschleife in under seven minutes in Chris Goodwin’s hands.

Here’s a video with too much moody footage and atmospheric music and not enough white-knuckled onboard terror. Still pretty cool though:

http://youtu.be/E9IWiTpWeiM

Hopefully a full onboard video will follow…

Profile photo of Atticus
    Atticus
    Participant

Interesting. I wonder which layout they clocked under seven minutes. I looked up the lap times on Wikipedia and there is a whole lot of variation in timing. Make the Nordschleife loop alone under 6:11 and then we could talk about shattering the ultimate record. I believe this is the current one held by Stefan Bellof and his Porsche 956.

Profile photo of Casanova
    Casanova
    Participant

The convention is BTG (bridge to gantry) I understand. So a full lap of the Nordschleife minus a section of the pit straight. More info at bridgetogantry.com if you’re into ‘Ring stuff.

7 minutes is mighty impressive for a production road car – Bellof’s lap, whilst incredible in it’s own right, is not the fairest comparison since it was a full-blown fire-snorting race machine.

Profile photo of Atticus
    Atticus
    Participant

Got it, BTG was one of the more unusual things I learnt about timing on the Ring. However, it’s not the pit straight that’s involved, but the back straight on the actual Nordschleife (you might wanted to refer to that in which case we just misunderstood each other a bit). Thanks for the info. :)

Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

McLaren has revealed a ‘Prost’ edition of the P1 which features his helmet colours incorporated into the livery:

This weekend’s Goodwood Festival of Speed will see a collection of McLaren models, displayed statically at McLaren House, adjacent to the famous Goodwood House, and in the Supercar Paddock prepared by McLaren Special Operations (MSO). The bespoke arm of McLaren Automotive has prepared models from the Sports Series, Super Series and Ultimate Series, the three newly-announced model tiers. Each of these celebrate this year’s Festival of Speed ‘Flat-out and Fearless’ theme, highlighting a milestone or ‘moment’ from the history of McLaren, and honouring some of the legendary drivers who have driven for the team over the years.

The Ultimate Series is represented by the McLaren P1™, prepared by MSO, with inspiration drawn from the patriotic French livery of the helmet worn by four-time Formula 1 world champion, Alain Prost. Colour-matched to the famous design, the carbon fibre bodywork of the Prost-themed McLaren P1™ is white with blue graphics and red highlights. Representing the Heritage division of MSO is one of the rarest McLaren roadcars ever built, the McLaren F1 GT. Kindly loaned to McLaren for display at Goodwood, chassis #58F1GT is one of only three examples, designed and built to homologate the McLaren F1 GTR ‘Longtail’ for GT racing during the 1997 season. The livery echoes the famous monochrome design of the Formula 1 team during the late 1990s, driven to back-to-back world titles by Finnish racing driver Mika Hakkinen in 1998 and 1999.

McLaren P1 Prost Front 3_4

McLaren P1 Prost Front

McLaren P1 Prost Interior Dash

McLaren P1 Prost Interior Seats

McLaren P1 Prost Rear three-quarter

McLaren P1 Prost Rear

McLaren P1 Prost Wheel

McLaren P1 Prost Wing

Profile photo of Mathers
    Mathers
    Participant

Now that I like, although there are two problems: I’ll never be able to afford it and I’d never be able to drive it in the smooth Prost style…

Profile photo of Fer no.65
    Fer no.65
    Participant

That’s quite cool. We get all sorts of “Senna Editions” but nothing from Prost, another Grand Prix legend.

And I have to say that a) I really like those details with Prost’s helmet scheme and b) it sort of looks like a subtle version of the Fina McLaren F1 GTR.

Profile photo of PorscheF1
    PorscheF1
    Participant

Still not as good as a 918. :)

Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

The GTR version looks pretty special:

McLaren P1 GTR

McLaren P1 GTR

McLaren P1 GTR and McLaren F1 GTR

Profile photo of R.J. O'Connell
    R.J. O’Connell
    Participant

If only it could race at Le Mans, though. Or, in lieu of that, how about a Mclaren P1 GTR World Championship?

Viewing 10 posts - 46 through 55 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar