Group Admins

• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of Bradley Downton

Off-topic

Public Group active 1 week, 1 day ago

The place for off-topic discussion

McLaren P1 – successor to the McLaren F1 – revealed

This topic contains 48 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Atticus Atticus 9 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 46 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Keith Collantine
    Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

McLaren claim the P1 has lapped the Nurburgring Nordschleife in under seven minutes in Chris Goodwin’s hands.

Here’s a video with too much moody footage and atmospheric music and not enough white-knuckled onboard terror. Still pretty cool though:

http://youtu.be/E9IWiTpWeiM

Hopefully a full onboard video will follow…

Profile photo of Atticus
    Atticus
    Participant

Interesting. I wonder which layout they clocked under seven minutes. I looked up the lap times on Wikipedia and there is a whole lot of variation in timing. Make the Nordschleife loop alone under 6:11 and then we could talk about shattering the ultimate record. I believe this is the current one held by Stefan Bellof and his Porsche 956.

Profile photo of Casanova
    Casanova
    Participant

The convention is BTG (bridge to gantry) I understand. So a full lap of the Nordschleife minus a section of the pit straight. More info at bridgetogantry.com if you’re into ‘Ring stuff.

7 minutes is mighty impressive for a production road car – Bellof’s lap, whilst incredible in it’s own right, is not the fairest comparison since it was a full-blown fire-snorting race machine.

Profile photo of Atticus
    Atticus
    Participant

Got it, BTG was one of the more unusual things I learnt about timing on the Ring. However, it’s not the pit straight that’s involved, but the back straight on the actual Nordschleife (you might wanted to refer to that in which case we just misunderstood each other a bit). Thanks for the info. :)

Viewing 4 posts - 46 through 49 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.