Group Admins

• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of Bradley Downton

Off-topic

Public Group active 3 days, 8 hours ago

The place for off-topic discussion

Circuit of Wales – new track planned in Ebbw Vale

This topic contains 28 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of ajokay ajokay 3 weeks, 2 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    keithcollantine
    Keymaster

Plans are advancing for a new motor racing circuit in South Wales. Reports indicate the planned circuit at Ebbw Vale would hold touring car-level races:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-19259596

The circuit would be built on the Rassau Industrial Estate:

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=rassau+industrial+estate&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF-8&ei=Ck4rUPHZGKml0AW2oYCwBQ&ved=0CAsQ_AUoAg

Britain is not short of racing circuits and some of them are finding it difficult to generate business so it’s debatable whether another one is needed. However the location of this track is some distance from other circuits and appears well-placed to attract visitors from Cardiff.

The planners say they have already raised £150m. Coincidentally, this is the same amount Silverstone say they need to get hold of…

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/industry/9469085/Silverstone-seeking-150m-cash-injection.html

the_sigman
    Participant

Is there any picture of the layout?

keithcollantine
    Keymaster

Not that I’ve seen.

NickV
    keithcollantine
    Keymaster

I hope it is, looks decent. Bit hard to tell in places on that image though.

ajokay
    Participant

Ahh, I read about this a little bit ago, because Gareth Jones (off the telly) was on about. Being a welshman, he was very excited.

Looks very hilly, hidden at the end of a valley, n’all.

robk23
    Participant

It will be good for motorsport in Wales, they don’t really have any circuits suitable for anything more than club racing, although I heard Anglesey will be improving their facilities in the future.

keithcollantine
    Keymaster

Seems they’ve got a proper website, you can see the track image here too:

http://circuitofwales.com/

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

There is also talk of a similar project being built in Bali, about an hour outside the island’s capital, Denpasar.

I know which one I’d rather visit.

(Wales. I would rather visit Wales.)

Lin1876
    Participant

Looks very interesting, but I have just one complaint: why can’t they build something like this in the west of Scotland? Knockhill’s great, but it’s in the middle of nowhere, miles away from any major towns or cities and it’s looking a bit scruffy these days.

Plus, there’s plenty of nice land around, if any investors are reading this.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

why can’t they build something like this in the west of Scotland?

Because there is no interest, public demand, government support or finance.

MuzzleFlash
    Participant

@Lin1876 Google maps says Knockhill is only 20 miles from Edinburgh, 40 from Glasgow? :S

Lin1876
    Participant

@prisoner-monkeys Always the issues. Pity.

@muzzleflash It always feels longer though, probably because the motorways end as soon as you get into Fife. The Clackmananshire bridge has helped though, because Kirkardine used to get really crowded if there was a big event, especially if there was a Dunfermline football match on at the same time.

keithcollantine
    Keymaster

@Lin1876 I think this could be the first mention of Dunfermline – where I used to live and made regular trips to Knockhill from – on F1 Fanatic.

keithcollantine
    Keymaster

The proposal got a mention in parliament yesterday:

Nick Smith (Blaenau Gwent) (Lab): The proposed motor sport investment in Ebbw Vale could be an employment game-changer for Blaenau Gwent. Variable investment allowances are being sought by the international development. I urge the Secretary of State to get the Treasury on board now for a fair tax treatment to help deliver the project.

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201213/cmhansrd/cm121017/debtext/121017-0001.htm#12101758003554

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.