Group Admins

• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of Bradley Downton

Off-topic

Public Group active 4 days, 18 hours ago

The place for off-topic discussion

Not happy with the site anymore

This topic contains 196 replies, has 67 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Scribe Scribe 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 197 total)
  • Author
    cyanide
    Participant

So I’ve just put this thread up as I’m frustrated in the direction that F1 Fanatic is going in.

For one, I can feel that Keith’s attitude has changed towards the posters. Back when the site was small, Keith was a lot more cool about everything and not every question ended in a single line answer trying to be as rude as possible.

The word “bias” is banned on the blogs? My comment on the F1 2011 game review has been put in the moderation queue permanently because I used that word while describing your article in a not-too-kind manner? Sorry but you’re just hiding behind your administrative powers if you get to decide what’s bias and what’s not.

The replies on the forums are usually just to close a particular thread.

I don’t like to create drama, which I believe I’m creating here. So I’ll just stop contributing to the site completely. It’s incredibly painful to see this attitude because I’ve been here pretty much since the beginning of the website and I remember a different person running the blogs. Good luck with the website, you seem to be going places and the site’s getting a lot of popularity. Congratulations on that.

Polishboy808
    Participant

I’ve stopped posting as much as I used to because the whole feeling of the site has changed. Not just Keith, but the new users and all. This website has taken a huge nose dive when it comes to Comments and the Forum, but I can’t complain about the articles, because they’re still very good, but the interaction here has been ruined.

Fixy
    Participant

You must also see that Keith has to do a lot of work every day for the site. The daily round-up requires a lot of search for F1-realted topics when it’s not race time. Then there are the race results articles, the championship standings articles, the interviews, the team-by-team analyses, the predictions championship, the extra features and I’m sure I missed something. He spends a lot of time trying to make F1 Fantic the best possible, and of course he has little time to read every forum thread, answer every blog comment. On the forum he doesn’t post as often as some other users, but he has the whole site to manage, and on the blog he replies often enough.

Fixy
    Participant

Then, when the site is small, the users and the admin are in a friendlier relationship as it’s easier to keep track of the users and their comments. When the users increase, any kind of person can enter: those who want to publicize their own site, those who spam, those who criticise everything, and then, mostly, users who want to discuss F1 with other users. The increased popularity brings obviously more enemies and more problems, and solving them every day wasting a lot of time can affect, in long term, the way the admin sees his users: not more as friendly people, because he’s sceptical, knowning someone “evil” can enter at any time. At least that’s how I think it.

f1alex
    Participant

I was actually just thinking how well this site has progressed and evolved from when it started. I started following it fairly soon after it began, and back then articles were lucky to get 20 comments, and now they easily reach over 100. Not running a website, I wouldn’t know, but I agree with Fixy that it surely can’t be easy to bring us all that top quality content every day, and keep track of so many comments.

It has come from being a small blog for the hardcore fans lucky enough to have stumbled across it, to one of the most popular and reliable F1 sites on the web. It’s an amazing achievement, but with the increased popularity of course some changes will be made, but It’s still the best F1 site, with the best community, that I’ve ever come across.

Anonymous

Not just Keith, but the new users and all. This website has taken a huge nose dive when it comes to Comments and the Forum

Being one of these new users, I feel bad. Obviously, evolution is part of human life and things do change but to know they’ve changed for the worse according to the earlier members and that I’m contributing to this negative twist is most certainly not agreeable on the soul. Like Christmas pudding after a full Christmas dinner, you know…

Icthyes
    Participant

Well I’d rather just let Keith answer for himself but I do have to say, to accuse him of hiding behind admin privileges is nonsense. First of all, the site does get a load of spam and the filter does catch out even the most innocent of comments. If you ask him, he will usually pull it out or explain why not. Secondly, I have seen him respond personally to many comments of criticism.

Polishboy808
    Participant

Most responses completely deride anyone’s opinions and they sound quite hostile. True, I may find this site biased, and I don’t hide that opinion, but its hard to ignore facts. And instead of having a good argument about it, or giving me a strong reason as to why this site isn’t biased, he (and most users) just say ‘Stop this bias thing because it isn’t true’. That is avoiding if you ask me.

f1alex
    Participant

I don’t particularly think this site’s biased, but who/what are you saying he’s biased towards?

Besides, it’s a blog, so I guess it’s going to contain personal views and opinions, because that’s what a blog is.

sbl on tour
    Participant

as I only use the forum, I dont see a problem

Maciek
    Participant

I don’t really see where you get the rude thing from as afr as Keith’s attitude goes @Cyanide, but I know that it’s been a while that I haven’t felt like posting much or even check the comments. It’s got nothing to do with the site itself, but I think that the whole Bahrain thing left a sour taste for me, and although most people are just fans and it comes through in thir posts, the discussion just gets nasty too way easily when it comes to anything remotely controversial. And there are some posters who obviously have far too much time on their hands and no healthy outlet in real life, so they use the site to thump thump their wacky view of the world or just simply be plain nasty to people in convenient anonymity. Anyhoo, that’s my side of it. Still check out the site pretty much every day, though.

Polishboy808
    Participant

I check this site everyday too (its the only website that shows up before Facebook when I type F….) but its just different than when I joined two years ago. Not to mention all of these ridiculously stupid ads that talk to me, and slide into view, and flash obnoxiously over and over again. I get that thats how websites make money, but most other website have ads that don’t distract you from reading the article. It feels so different from the loose and friendly atmosphere that made me want to join this site in the first place so long ago….

jonnyw360f1
    Participant

Whilst the distraction of the advertisements can get a little annoying (and is the only difference I’ve noticed) I still find both the main site and the forum friendly. One place that I’ve seen some people complain about are the live blogs, yet I don’t use those so much so couldn’t comment. I find the comments on the main site normally very informative and usually witty, I think that the spam filters do a very good job. Whether they are doing too good a job and are blocking perfectly innocent comments is obviously a problem, but I would rather have that than the trolls that we used to get on the forum. Keep up the good work, Keith!

Dont forget that with regards to “new users” being rude etc, there are many new users who dont need to do this to, i dont post very often, but i check this site daily, often more than once, its just a few people who have internet balls!

LL Jehto

Well, I find ruder and nastier to just throw in negative statements about some of the posters with something vague like “new posters”, without specifying who, when, why, specially considering some of the new posters don’t quite know when did the fellow posters arrived (because they are new) than to say what one thinks, present views of the world that most definitely will be considered “wacky” by squared people. After all, that’s the definition of squared people: everything that’s outside the square must be wacky. Analyse the argumentation, the reasoning? Why bother?

And about internet anonymity, it’s just how the medium is: we all have poster names, some have litle distinguishable pictures, our personal emails are somewhere on the site servers, what do you want more?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 197 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.