So the Playstation 4 was officially announced today, and although they didn’t show the console, I have to say that they have really impressed me. A lot of the rumours speculating on the PS4 prior to this really had me worried, and I was considering whether I should give up on Sony altogether, and maybe switching to Steam, especially with them possibly bringing out a console.
However, what they announced today, in terms of features, really has me excited. For those of you that don’t know, then I’ll give you a list of things off the top of my head:
- A share button on the new controller, which allows instant uploading of pictures and videos of gameplay directly to the internet, and also the ability to live-stream your gameplay to certain websites!
- New social connectivity, so that players can help each other in new ways. For example, if your friend was stuck on a level, then you could take control from your system, and help them out. There are videos which explain this in greater detail, which makes it sound even better.
- Backwards compatibility for PS3, PS2 and PS1 games. However, it will be through the use of a cloud system, so I believe the games you want to play may have to be re-purchased (But don’t quote me on that).
- The power button puts the system on stand-by, as it has done on the previous iterations. However, when loading the system back up, it will return to where you were previously, and if that was in the middle of a game, then that is where you’ll start, which I think is fantastic.
- Pre-owned games WILL be available! There were a lot of rumours speculating against this, but it has been confirmed.
- Demos can now be previewed via an online stream before downloading, and demos can also be played whilst it is downloading…
That’s all I can think of right now, but I feel it’s very exciting. Speaking strictly from an F1 games’ point of view, some of these features will be amazing. The uploading and streaming of videos, for example, which will allow every player in a league to record their race! That in itself makes me very happy.
I think that with all this new social connectivity, the Playstation 4 is obviously going to need to be quite a powerful system. I’m not sure on the specs, but they can be found in videos and what not quite easily, but I’m sure that lag will be less of an issue than ever before. Obviously, the system can’t help poor internet connections, but it has given me a lot more confidence in the future of leagues for F1 games.
Now all we need is for Codemasters to step it up a gear. I don’t want to turn this into a discussion about them, but I think if they can utilize the power of the next generation, then F1 2014 could be a hell of game!
What are your views and opinions? :D