Group Admins

• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of Bradley Downton

Off-topic

Public Group active 3 days, 9 hours ago

The place for off-topic discussion

Possible WRC Entries?

This topic contains 12 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Prisoner Monkeys Prisoner Monkeys 3 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Polishboy808
    Participant

I was looking at the cars that match the current WRC cars, and I came up with a list of cars that, with a few modification, could be WRC legal.

Renault Megane

Hyundai Veloster

Vauxhall Astra/Corsa

Peugeot RCZ (I know, it looks different, but it could work)

BMW 1 Hatchback

Subaru Impreza

Honda CRZ

Audi RS3

Lexus CT200

Mazda 3

Volvo C30

Thats a HUGE list, and most of those cars race in amateur rallies, so why not take ‘em to the WRC? Your thoughts?

AndrewTanner
    Participant

You would be very brave to enter now. Citroen are pretty much all over it. Ford aren’t far behind. That said Mini had a good Rally Italy.

And the Impreza has already been very successful ;)

Calum
    Participant

Is it true VW are entering with a Polo R?

Polishboy808
    Participant

This years Impreza is new, and I mean for next year.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Peugeot RCZ (I know, it looks different, but it could work)

It won’t happen. Citroen and Peugeot are owned by the same parent company. So long as one is competing, the other will not take part.

why not take ‘em to the WRC?

Because manufacturers will have to be convinced to join. It’s an expensive and time-consuming process, and most teams are looking for at least one year of development before they can even start competing, in which case they will usually only be able to do half a season. And even then, there’s no guarantee that the project will even get off the ground – just look at Mitsubishi with the Evo X.

Is it true VW are entering with a Polo R?

It’s been confirmed by Volkswagen for two weeks now. But they won’t be joining the championship until 2013.

Felipe Bomeny
    Participant

Hyundai had an embarassing WRC effort. Now, with their attention subtly shifting towards open-wheel racing, I wouldn’t expect to see Hyundai re-enter.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

The Accent wasn’t that bad, it was just uncompetitive. The problem was that its predecessor – an easlier version of the Accent – was 2WD, and they didn’t have much experience with 4WD.

Polishboy808
    Participant

There were 2 privately entered S2000 spec ( I believe) Hyundai Velosters at the US Rally Cross championship, so I don’t see why not. And as PM pointed out, Peugeot would be denied by Citroen if such an idea would come to light. But Why not keep it s2000 spec then? Then they have both companies racing! And the RCZ in rally gear would look bad ass wouldn’t it? And yes, VW is entering a Polo R in 2013.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

But Why not keep it s2000 spec then?

Probably because Peugeot would want to compete in the WRC instead of having their cars relegated to the S2000 class.

Polishboy808
    Participant

They’ve kept their 207 s2000 spec haven’t they?

Calum
    Participant

Renault-Peugeot-Citreon Group

Motorsport Divisions

Renault – Formula 1 (Champions 2005,2006)

Peugeot – Le Mans endurance (Winner 2009)

Citreon – Rally (Champions 2005-2010)

Each manufacturer in the company has their own motorsport division, and has had great success in each. I doubt Peugeot would enter WRC.

Also, Mini has been entered by BW which surely rules out the 1 series Beamer.

Who owns Volvo these days, I’d like to see them come back?

And finally, I am surprised VW aren’t running the Audi name when they make their return, The Quattro must be one of the most famous rally cars of all time!

Volvo is owned these days by Geely, a Chinese car manufacurer. Renault isn’t part of PSA, but a part of RenaultNissan (Renault, Nissan and Infiniti). On the subject of ‘in-house competition’, in the early seventies Fiat and Lancia ran the 124 Spider and the Fulvia in WRC despite being part of the same company. Some years later Lancia had to kill off the extremely succesfull Stratos because it would make mincemeat of Fiat’s 128 rally car. This competition between Fiat and Lancia is a classic example of politics in Italy.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

They’ve kept their 207 s2000 spec haven’t they?

Yes, but S2000 is not the same as WRC, and no doubt they’d want to run in the WRC as a manufacturer rather than be relegated to S2000, which tends to be for local entries.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.