• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of Bradley Downton

Off-topic

Public Group active 3 hours, 49 minutes ago

The place for off-topic discussion

Sebastian Vettel, the Pep Guardiola of Formula 1

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 28 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Iestyn Davies Iestyn Davies 10 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Kingshark
    Participant

If I were to compare F1 teams to football teams, the cross-comparisons would be these;

Red Bull – FC Barcelona
    The best and most successful team in recent history.

Ferrari – Real Madrid
    The single greatest and most historical team in football, though they have struggled to win in the past few years.

Williams – Newcastle United
    Legendary team who have struggled a lot to be competitive over the past 4-5 years.

McLaren – Liverpool FC
    A once great team who seem to be struggling ever since losing a few big names within their team.

Lotus – Juventus
    Legendary team, completely dropped off the face of Europe for a few seasons, and then came back competitively.

Mercedes – Bayern Munich
    Great team with great history, had a dip in the last few years, but now they’re rising back to the top again.

Brawn – Manchester City
    Basically, the one championship that they won was because of the hundreds of millions of dollars spend in it.

Palle
    Participant

Who the f… is Pep Guardiole?
    I stopped watching soccer back in the early nineteens, because of all the hooliganism. The F1 community has not attracted these types as fans – lets keep it that way. Its a pleasure to attend an F1 race and feel among friendly people who can agree that everybody is fans of F1 first, secondly some are fans of various teams and/or drivers.

magon4
    Participant

@kingshark really Bayern dip in recent years? Come on!! They’ve been to the CL final in 2010 and 2012.

magon4
    Participant

@palle that has changed a lot. Football fans are usually way superior to F1 fans, at least on average in the stadium.

Kingshark
    Participant

@magon4
    I was thinking more like from 2006-2009.

I don’t really know which team to compare McLaren to, tbh, unless there’s a top football team that has a miserable one-off this season.

Nathan
    Participant

@ Kingshark;

as mentioned on page 1 – maybe Mclaren = Arsenal. Lot of siimilarities, same “style” sort of.

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

Arsenal have been underperforming in recent years, but this was due to a lack of spend on transfers as they had to pay off the build of a new stadium (a few hundred million, alongside sponsorship from Emirates). But this year it is basically paid off, so now they have 60,000 fans instead of 45,000 attending games, giving better revenue and ability to buy players like Ozil once more. Strong contenders for the Premier League title this year, alongside Chelsea, Man City, Liverpool (no European matches to focus on); Spurs and Man Utd are a few points back and struggling to be consistent (without Bale or Sir Alex Ferguson) at the present time.

What about AC Milan? They were top of Europe, along with Liverpool, in 2005 and 2007, but last I heard were in a bit of trouble in the Serie A (out of European places recently?). Thank god Liverpool have recovered from financial mismanagement and are now being pushed in the right direction by the new owners/management team. Back to a top 5 club again most likely. McLaren in 2014?

Deej92
    Participant

I know this is comparing Vettel to Guardiola in terms of performances at top teams, but I was thinking of some drivers’ lookalikes in football:
    Sergio Perez – Luis Suarez
    Kimi Raikkonen – Okay, he isn’t a lookalike, but his laid back manner reminds me of Dimitar Berbatov.
    Romain Grosjean – Olivier Giroud
    Lewis Hamilton – Andros Townsend/Theo Walcott
    Paul di Resta – Gareth Bale

himmatsj
    Participant

To me, McLaren is like Bayern Munich. Very efficient. But sometimes go through patches of headlessness.

himmatsj
    Participant

To compare Lewis with Theo….is that not the very definition of being a racist?

Also, @magon, Bayern were in the finals in 2010, 2012 and 2013.

Nathan
    Participant

@ himmatsj; yep – considering their recent performances alone, maybe. Still, we’re on about to compare them also on ‘style’, colour-scheme, general characteristics, etc etc. Therefore to me, Arsenal resembles Mclaren most, but thats just my opiniion.
    Kingshark mentioned Liverpool, but imo, that team is way to working-class-people-directed compared to a Mclaren, which sort of isn’t.

…And Ferrari is sort of a great south european football club (CF-RM or ACM – no not FCB, ferrari have extemely little in common with FCB), and Sebastian Vettel is a german Ferguson/german Guardiola.

magon4
    Participant

@himmatsj 2013 was a given, I was responding to someone saying Bayern had been in a dip before their title this year.

Deej92
    Participant

himmatsj – No, it isn’t. You’ve just blown it out of proportion. They look alike, it’s as simple as that.

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

I actually think Townsend looks more like Hamilton, but the point stands. Being racist would be to just generically stick in anyone’s name who has dark skin, like say Emile Heskey. But that would be comically bad, as Hamilton is mixed race. Being a mix, Hamilton looks mostly like other mixes (Townsend etc.) and hence half would be attracted to other mixtures (Scherzinger) – whether you go for someone who looks alike or not. Hopefully I can say mix as I am one myself (for the PC brigade. I personally ‘own that word’ haha). I thought in 2007 that he would go for Leona Lewis, but miscalculated for his love of celebrity over common cultural background!
    Leona Lewis, now there’s a singing talent…

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.