Group Admins

• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of Bradley Downton

Off-topic

Public Group active 1 week, 4 days ago

The place for off-topic discussion

The Endless Road – Discussion

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Prisoner Monkeys Prisoner Monkeys 3 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Prisoner Monkeys
    Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

This is a little experiment that I’m going to try. When Keith uploaded the final part of the Senna interviews with Manish Pandey, there was some lively discussion that got started about the idea of adapting Formula 1 to a television series rather than a film, because a television series would allow the writers to take their time making the characters into actual characters. The idea took root in my mind, and this is the end result: I’m going to try and write a story – with regular updates – set in the world of Formula 1.

The story will be set across two threads: one for the actual story, and one for discussion. The reason for this is that I don’t want the story thread to be cluttered with comments; each new section should be easy to find, especially if people fall behind for whatever reason. I’m creating this thread first so that everyone will be able to understand the concept, and also so that comments don’t start appearing in the story thread once I post it while I’m busy writing this up.

If this story is a success and people are open to the idea, I might open the cocnept up to other writers and let them take on various roles within the story (either their own or ones that I’ve created). But that will depend on how the story plays out and is taken. For now, I’ll just take it on my own and see how people respond.

I hope you enjoy it.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

This sounds great, can’t wait to read it. I once started a book on the 2007 season but it’s stalled a bit, I might start it again soon.

Good luck!

Profile photo of joeycaton
    joeycaton

@Daykind- A typical Fernando Alonso supporter always stalling!

Interesting. Didn’t think we were going to get a redemption story, was expecting a cliché young-talented-driver-rises-to-the-top story.

Or is this less ‘Rocky’, and more a tale of a driver who returns to the sport he loves knowing he never should have left to begin with, rather than it being about him overcoming his own personal demons through racing.

Profile photo of Prisoner Monkeys
    Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

More the latter. Wes – I don’t really know where he’s from (in fact, I very much avoided describing him too much, but in my mind’s eye, he’s Neil Patrick Harris) – shouldn’t have left the sport. Amirmoez is right: he was a double World Champion, but there was no longer any challenge in it, and so he retired. Privately, he regrets the decision, and has taken pains to distance himself from the sport, but you can already see that there’s something tugging at him, beckoning for him to return. He’s really a reverse Michael Schumacher – when he retired, he believed the fire was gone, even though his results suggested otherwise. Amirmoez has hit upon the right idea, finding a way to draw Wes back in, and that is taking a small, hopeless team, and making something of it. Kind of like a more-successful Timo Glock.

I don’t want to give too much away, but I am looking at introducing a young up-and-coming driver into the mix very shortly. But I’m trying to steer as wide of the cliches as possible. And that particular subplot is going to have massive consequences for Wes.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.