Group Admins

• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of Bradley Downton

Off-topic

Public Group active 5 days, 18 hours ago

The place for off-topic discussion

Vettel on Top Gear

This topic contains 36 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Fer no.65 Fer no.65 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    robbiepblake
    Participant

Did anyone watch it? I’m no fan of him on the race track, simply because I want to see him fighting more, instead of cruising to the chequered flag (although today he did have to put up a good fight, especially against Hamilton!) and I do find his radio messages and index finger pose very annoying, but as a guest on the program he was a thoroughly lovely and funny bloke who also utterly blitzed the Top Gear test track.

James_mc
    Participant

He is a very funny and approachable guy. And apparently a big fan of Fawlty Towers (or was it Monty Python?). It’s a shame that he is easy to resent with his Schumacher-esque dominance.

George
    Participant

Yeah I’ve always quite liked him, apparently he’s not so light hearted behind closed doors though. It was the best episode I’ve seen in a long time actually, perhaps because as Clarkson said they actually focussed on cars for a change.

electrolite
    Participant

I also loved the review of the Mclaren MP4-12C – Clarkson definitely summed up perfectly the slight problem I have with Mclaren, and why, although a Brit, I’m not absolutely mad for them.

robbiepblake
    Participant

My dad, who happens to be a scientist, couldn’t understand what Clarkson was on about with that car. He said he was making excuses up. I tried to explain to him that he thinks the Ferrari has a soul and was made with passion and it shows, which contrasts with the scientific and clinical McLaren way, but I don’t think he got that.

I certainly understand what he means but I’d still go for the McLaren. It’s not only faster and cheaper but I’m also in the minority who thinks it looks better, and that’s saying something as I reckon the 458 is a beautiful car.

LL Jehto

Ferrari has an image 10 times stronger reggarding road cars. McLaren goes to the same market but it’s a fringe alternative, kind of like Lamborghini or Bugatti. I mean, throughout the world, whoever can only afford one of those super-sport cars, 9 in 10 choose Ferrari and the other one is divided through the other brands (I’m guessing, the point is that that’s their image, even if it’s not exactly like that).

About being more expensive, I’m pretty sure if one of its competitors ups the price to a value over the ‘matching’ Ferrari, Ferrari would just up his price to be the most expensive: it’s just part of their image

electrolite
    Participant

Yeah, I still prefer the MP4-12C I think.

LL Jehto

you prefered people, watching you pass on the road would say “Oh, he has a… a… a nice car, it’s beautiful and probably fast” instead of “Oh, he has a Ferrari”?

(I reckon this is only ego-wish talk, but isn’t for this reason they buy 200.000 euro cars?)

George
    Participant

Well I would take the McLaren purely for the better ergonomics, but each to their own.

electrolite
    Participant

:P I just wanted to drive that Mclaren more than the 458 from watching the short film they made. I suppose with Mclaren it’s a novelty that they release a road car, and with Ferrari, as special as it is, it’s just ‘another Ferrari’, in that respect. If saying that is allowed! (What have I just said?!)

Harvs
    Participant

where did vettel come on the top gear times? i live in NZ so will have to wait 2 years to see it, anyone got a link

LL Jehto

I suppose with Mclaren it’s a novelty that they release a road car

what do you mean by that? they had the mclaren f1 10 or 15 years ago, i remember. i always thought they use to make road cars and sell them, but even if don’t do it regulary at least the mclaren f1 is out there since the 90′s

LL Jehto

in a week time someone will put it on youtube, don’t worry, harvs

Harvs
    Participant

yea and then and in a week and 10 minutes it will get pulled down again,

LL Jehto

i’ve found a torrent (eztv), but no one seems to be seeding.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.