Group Admins

• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of Bradley Downton

Off-topic

Public Group active 1 week, 5 days ago

The place for off-topic discussion

Video: Driver removes and replaces steering wheel during race

This topic contains 8 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of raymondu999 raymondu999 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Keith Collantine
    Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

Just when you think you’ve seen it all, here’s Formula Renault 2.0 driver Jeroen Slaghekke removing his steering wheel mid-race at Oschersleben:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7ei0s8Q7YE

Amusingly, it seems he uploaded the video to YouTube himself!

Profile photo of SamS
    SamS
    Participant

the question you have to ask is why would he have a spare wheel in his cockpit anyway, great video though!

Profile photo of F1Yankee
    F1Yankee
    Participant

umm that’s not a spare wheel, it’s the same wheel being re-placed, not replaced

Profile photo of David-A
    David-A
    Participant

Why would he take it out and put it back in? Was there a real reason, or was he just showing off? :P

Profile photo of JPedroCQF1
    JPedroCQF1
    Participant

That’s strange. How can a steering wheel come loose in that way?

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

If you look to me its not the wheel coming lose, it’s him doing the age old trick of turn it off and turn it on. When he goes into the left turn he changes down and you can see the LED’s showing his rev but then when accelerating there are no LED’s, thus him taking it out and putting it back in to see if that solves the problem and it does when the LED’s come back on for a short time.

Profile photo of Mads
    Mads
    Participant

He says on his twitter that it was intentional in order to solve a technical issue of some sort.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I guess he was just reseting the software and the actual steering xD. The thing that surprises me the most is how calm he was.

Profile photo of raymondu999
    raymondu999
    Participant

I remember last year Webber in Valencia free practice was rehearsing quick wheel-change procedures for a change of steering wheels mid-race or mid-quali.

People then started to cry foul and say that this was a way Red Bull were using to get around the ban on changing engine maps between Q1 and the race.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.