Off-topic

What can be done to improve IndyCar?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    SteveMovieVoice
    Participant

So IndyCar is looking for something of a resurgence in the next few years. With IndyCar CEO Randy Bernard (an ex Bullriding boss) targeting 20 million fans within a few years. So can it be done and what can be done to make this figure a reality?

As I’m sure you all know, IndyCar and CART spilt in 1995, turning away many fans in the process. What can be done to get these fans back? IndyCar has done quite a bit over the past 3 years to improve the popularity of there sport. The reunification of Champ Car and IndyCar in 2008, the new IndyCar formula set for 2012 allowing teams to buy there own bodykits, the addition of the popular ‘Mile’, a new crop of F1 rejects and great talent(Sato and Franchitti). But what else can be done improve IndyCar and make it viable alternative to F1 as it once was before the split?

Here’s what I would do:

* Have a race or 2 in Europe. This would encourage engine manufactures to enter the series and also increase IndyCars fan base. Brands Hatch GP and Lausitz anyone?

* Increase calendar size. 17 races has been the norm for the past couple of years, a larger calendar would be welcome

* Go to Road America and Watkins Glen. For 2011, IndyCar has left all tracks belonging to a NASCAR promoter, Watkins Glen being one of them. Its a shame to lose such a historic track. Road America is just a great track, gradient challenging corners and overtaking opportunities. It was my personal choice for the US GP.

* This point isn’t necessarily needed, but to me its annoying to see races run on road/street tracks being called, for example, ‘Toronto Indy’, Call it the Toronto Grand Prix for heavens sake.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.