Group Admins

• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of Bradley Downton

Off-topic

Public Group active 1 week, 2 days ago

The place for off-topic discussion

What motorsport would you choose?

This topic contains 20 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of raymondu999 raymondu999 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of the_sigman
    the_sigman
    Participant

If you had the chance be a motorsport driver/rider what kind of racing would you race, what championship and why?
    Choises:
    – Open-wheel racing (Formula 1, Indycars)
    – Rallying (WRC, IRC, Rally Dakar)
    – Motorbikes (Moto GP, Superbikes, American Superbikes)
    – Touring cars (WTCC, BTCC, DTM, V8 Supercars)
    – Oval racing (NASCAR)
    – Endurance Racing (WEC, ALMS)
    – Freestyling (Drifting, Freestyle Motocross, Motorcycle trials)
    – Other kinds of motorsport
    Please tell me if I have something forgotten or wrong.

Profile photo of Cristian
    Cristian
    Participant

F1 all the way, the rest doesn’t matter!

Profile photo of the_sigman
    the_sigman
    Participant

For me it’s rallying, because it’s very unpredictable, you don’t have to turn the same corners always and you collaborate with your co-driver.

My list:
    1) Rallying: WRC
    2) Endurance racing: WEC
    3) Open wheel racing: Formula 1
    4) Motorbikes: Moto GP
    5) Touring cars: V8 Supercars
    6) Freestyling: Drifting
    7) Oval racing: NASCAR

Profile photo of necrodethmortem
    necrodethmortem
    Participant

Motorcycle road racing, like the Isle of Man TT and Northwest 200, because modern race tracks are for wimps! :P

Profile photo of Mads
    Mads
    Participant

The perfect way for me would be to start in F1 as a young and fast chap. Win a few championships (hopefully!), and then move on to endurance racing (WEC), probably start off in the GTE pro class, and then move up to LMP1 after a couple of years. Then retire at 40 odd years, and then do some for classic, or amateur rallies just for the fun and whatever hill climb events etc.
    The reason I wouldn’t want F1 for ages, is because the 20 race calender is just so tight that its hard to do something else. WEC has less events with more space in between so it will be easier to have a family besides it.

Profile photo of craig-o
    craig-o
    Participant

I’d love to start in F1 and then move onto IndyCars, or the other way round! It’s a great era for IndyCar at the moment with quite a few really strong drivers there!

Profile photo of robk23
    robk23
    Participant

I doubt I would have the skill or strength to be an F1 driver but I wouldn’t mind being a touring car driver, I would prefer it to be S2000 or NGTC though.

Profile photo of DamionShadows
    DamionShadows
    Participant

Late 80’s Group C at Le Mans and the WSC. They were some of the first race cars I ever learned about, and recently i’ve been reading up on them further. Those cars just blow my mind!

Profile photo of Bradley Downton
    Bradley Downton
    Participant

I’d love to be an F1 driver, but that’s obviously very unrealistic.
    As for the most realistic option, I’d love to be a BTCC driver, I am actually hoping that with the job I hopefully have in the future, I can put some money aside and maybe stick an entry in.
    @robk23 – Maybe I should call it F1Fanatic Racing and get everyone on here who follows the BTCC to be the pit crew/mechanics! ;) haha

Profile photo of Oli Peacock
    Oli Peacock
    Participant

As a karter, i would love to fufill ‘the dream’ of being an F1 driver, but with no money thats not gonna happen and my talents no enough to counter the lack of money. So I hope that i win the Ginetta Scolarship and drive in that championship, which will hopefuly open up the road to the BTCC, which with some local sponsorship shouldnt be far off! :)

Profile photo of MuzzleFlash
    MuzzleFlash
    Participant

My first choice would probably be a historic saloon car championship, or the Circuit of Ireland rally.

Profile photo of Kingshark
    Kingshark
    Participant

Believe it or not, but F1 is actually the only motorsport I watch regularly. :)

Profile photo of duncanmonza
    duncanmonza
    Participant

I don’t know if I would want to live away from Australia my whole life, or get the sponsorship and money to get into F1 and deal with all the constant PR obligations.
    I would want to primarily race V8 Supercars, but also try my hand at a bit of touring car and sports car racing around the world and I would love a crack at NASCAR.
    I’d also do a bit of rallying, speedway and karting in my spare time.

Profile photo of Lin1876
    Lin1876
    Participant

I’d love to be in IndyCar. The mix of disciplines is pretty unique in motorsport, the cars are raw but fast and there are some very strong drivers there. Alternatively, proper touring car racing would be fun, like the BTCC where you can gently nudge a rival and not be penalised.

But really my aim is just to do club racing when time/finances allow (I’ll be a student for the next few years so both will be in short supply). Something like the Mini or Ford Fiesta cups and Knockhill look really good fun.

Profile photo of Joey-Poey
    Joey-Poey
    Participant

The child in me says open wheels without a millisecond of hesitation. I dreamed of being and Indy Car driver since even my earliest memories. The more modern realist in me that knows I’m not terribly fast says endurance racing because it allows me to emphasize where I truly shine: consistency and tenacity. Plus, even though I never gave it much regard until the last couple years, I’ve found that sports car racing carries a certain old school nostalgia with it that helps keep it feeling fun and fresh.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.