Group Admins

• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of Bradley Downton

Off-topic

Public Group active 2 days, 22 hours ago

The place for off-topic discussion

Wimbledon 2012

This topic contains 37 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of katederby katederby 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Bradley Downton
    Participant

So, probably not that many tennis fans here. But let’s see.
    Nadal is on the verge of going out in the second round!

Oli Peacock
    Participant

Please be so! Proberly Murray’s strongest opponant

Bradley Downton
    Participant

Rafael Nadal, the world number 2, has fallen in the second round of Wimbledon to Lukáš Rosol, who is ranked number 100.
    Shocker… I really like Nadal.
    @olliekart – Not that it matters, Murray’s rubbish. He won’t win. Now that Nadal is out, Novak Djokovic will storm it.

ShaneB457
    Participant

Shame for Nadal but what a performance from Rosol.. Thoroughly deserved to win that game and I hope he goes far in the tournament. :)

I totally agree with you @bradley13 .. everyone hypes him up so much and he’s not even that good.. I really dont like Murray because of all of his complaining and shouting on court.. it is just unprofessional..

matt90
    Participant

I’m working at Wimbledon actually, on the coverage on the official site.
    http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/interactive/multimedia.html

Murray is certainly not rubbish though. He just isn’t as good as the top 3. I don’t think there’s any real shame in not being as good as 3 of the best ever players. And he can actually give them a run for their money on occasion. He’s beaten Federer in about half the matches they’ve played. And he challenged Djokovic stunningly in Aus this year- both players in that game were fantastic. I’m not saying I think he’ll win Wimbledon, but I do expect him to win a slam at some point in his career. But now he doesn’t have Nadal to face in the semis, I could see him being the first British player in ages to make the final.

robk23
    Participant

Wow I’m surprised to see Nadal out at such an early stage! I still don’t think Murray stands any chance of winning though, he usually falls very near the end.

James_mc
    Participant

I maintain that Murray and Djokovic have the same levels of natural ability. The Djoker has just moved up a level in the past 24 months after winning a second major and getting a serious dose of self-belief.

Nadal going out is a shocker though! Perhaps another title for Federer….?

Bradley Downton
    Participant

@james_mc – Not with Federer being 2 sets down…

Bradley Downton
    Participant

Poor Benneteau…
    But fair play to Federer, he really fought back hard.

Roger Federer, who was 2 sets down to Benneteau, fought back valiantly to claim the win: 4-6, 6-7 (3-7), 6-2, 7-6 (8-6), 6-1.
    It looked for so long like there might be a second huge upset after Nadal’s shock exit last night but Federer was determined to not allow it, and eventually claimed the win after Benneteau experienced problems with his left leg in the final set.

matt90
    Participant

I think I’m glad to see him stay in, if only for the fact that he’s good enough to maybe tire Djokovic out in the semis before he potentially sees Murray in the final.

Pelican
    Participant

Theoretically, Murray could win it all–Federer can beat Djokovic, and Murray has a winning record over Fed, but he’s so fragile mentally, and the pressure is so heavy, if he ever does win a grand slam event, it probably won’t be wimbledon.
    I don’t care if Lukas Rosol never wins a match again, his win over Nadal was legitimately amazing. And I hope Robert Kubica is watching Brian Baker.

matt90
    Participant

Interesting reading some of these comments now…

Anonymous

Can someone answer this for me: why am I supposed to support Murray just because he is British? Some friends of mine have been criticizing me for wanting him to lose. I want him to lose because he doesn’t seem like a nice person at all. But apparently everything should be forgiven because he is British. Will Murray winning Wimbledon make Britain a better place? No. So why should I support him just because of nationality?

matt90
    Participant

Dunno. Most people get the patriotism in sport thing, some don’t. Something to do with pride in where you live and wanting to see that place represented internationally, and that you are likely to have more in common with a countryman in some aspects.

Herman
    Participant

@tflb1 You don’t have to support Murray if you don’t want to. Support whoever you want. But remember that there is a subtle difference between not supporting a player and actively wanting that player to lose. It’s possible that’s your friends wouldn’t criticise you if you did the former, but because you are doing the latter they are criticising you.

For example, my brother is the worst gloryhunter ever. He supports Manchester City (having switched from Chelsea in 2011) Barcelona F.C., the Spanish national football team, Rafael Nadal, Sebastian Vettel, etc. despite having lived in London all except 2 years of his life. Despite being an obvious gloryhunter, it doesn’t annoy me that he supports these teams/people. However, he actively tells me that he wants the teams I support to lose, and cheers for the other team when I watch them on TV. It’s that which annoys me more!

Btw, what makes you think Murray isn’t a nice person? Granted, I don’t follow tennis that much, but I never seen much evidence to show that Murray is a bad person.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.