Group Admins

• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of Bradley Downton

Off-topic

Public Group active 4 days, 19 hours ago

The place for off-topic discussion

Wimbledon 2012

This topic contains 37 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of katederby katederby 2 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Fer no.65
    Fer no.65
    Participant

Hope Federer wins it. He deserves it, and it’d put him as Number 1 again, matching Sampras record of 286 weeks as number 1 too! So hopefully, he’ll win it.

He’s the greatest player i’ve ever seen and according to almost everyone, the best player the sport has ever seen. To come back from such a terrible drop in form after losing the #1 spot to Nadal twice, and then losing even more ground to Djokovic, and at his age, it’s just unbelievable. The guy is head and shoulders ahead of the rest.

And I want Murray to lose. I really hate him. He always enters the court looking as if he’s dying. Over dramatic, by far, and he just shatters when on pressure. Plus he’s had the easy way in this tournament: the worst oppositor he got was Ferrer 2 days ago, while Federer pushed Djokovic out of the tournament in style today. Plus, I don’t like the way he plays :P.

Profile photo of robk23
    robk23
    Participant

I’m not really a believer that fans should support the players of their own nationality. I tend to support British players but in tennis I’m a Federer fan so I would prefer him to win Wimbledon, although I’ll be equally happy if Murray won. At the end of the day, it’s only sport so it’s not that important.

Fer no.65
    Participant

Press Conference from today:

I’ve been asked to ask you is if any of you will be following Wimbledon after the race tomorrow?

FA: No.

MW: Absolutely. Federer for seven, honestly it’s a great final. Whoever wins it’s a great story. Obviously for Andy, first Grand Slam, first Wimbledon and for Roger, obviously he’s a phenomenal sportsman, to match Pistol Pete (Sampras) on seven. He’s a real inspiration, Federer. He would be good to watch.

MS: What time is it? I would like to watch it if I have time, but I would prefer not to have time!

—-

I’m always amaized at how many sports Mark Webber follows. He always have something to say…

Profile photo of Slr
    Slr
    Participant

And I want Murray to lose. I really hate him. He always enters the court looking as if he’s dying. Over dramatic, by far, and he just shatters when on pressure. Plus he’s had the easy way in this tournament: the worst oppositor he got was Ferrer 2 days ago, while Federer pushed Djokovic out of the tournament in style today. Plus, I don’t like the way he plays

Agreed, well said.

I’m not really a believer that fans should support the players of their own nationality.

Also agreed. My friends give me a lot of bother because I don’t support British sports-stars just because they’re British.

Profile photo of Bradley Downton
    Bradley Downton
    Participant

I’m not keen on Federer, because when I got interested in tennis, I liked Nadal, and Federer was his main opponent.
    So, I support Nadal mainly, but would like to see Murray do well, also, he’s one set up!

Profile photo of James_mc
    James_mc
    Participant

I want to see Murray win.

Although I never mind seeing Federer win. Glad that the Djoker went out. Murray looking strong though today. At least he’s managed to win a set in a major!

Bradley Downton
    Participant

Federer’s pulled a set back, while the third set is now 1 game all, with Federer 40-0 up, but play has been suspended, the roof is just being put on.

Fer no.65
    Participant

Now 4-6, 7-5, 6-3, 1-2 for Federer with the serve. He’s not going to lose this one… Murray’s already showing his “I cannot do it” face :P.

Fer no.65
    Participant

Number 1 returns to the Number 1.

Go Roger ! In style! Equalling Sampras as the all time N° 1 holder! :D At his age, to come back from being so low in performance compared to his old years… it’s just inspiring.

Bradley Downton
    Participant

Federer was just better, here’s hoping Nadal will now come back though

James_mc
    Participant

Nadal is a machine, but Federer is a god. Best player ever.

Real shame for Murray, very emotional speech.

Profile photo of Marvel Man
    Marvel Man

While in F1 you can debate who’s the best, in tennis there’s no discussion: Federer GOAT.

Fer no.65
    Participant

Absolutely. He outshines the rest of the guys, by a long way.

Profile photo of matt90
    matt90
    Participant

Good to see Murray dispel some of the myths about him. Pretty heartbreaking post-match interview, and he really did play great for the first half of the match. Saying Murray had the easy way really is simplifying it- yes he was lucky not to have to play Nadal, but Tsonga is hardly an easy match on grass, and every other opponent was very able- most pundits generally accepted that he didn’t really have an easy match coming his way back when the draw was first announced.

James_mc
    Participant

Barring getting Tsonga rather than Nadal in the Semi, Murray had a ridiculously difficult passage to the final. Pretty much everyone he met was what I think Pat Cash referred to as “a stopper” – not going to win, but could potentially cause some damage. Davydenko, Cillic, are not “gimmie” games by any stretch!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.