• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of Bradley Downton

Off-topic

Public Group active 2 days, 13 hours ago

The place for off-topic discussion

WRC Fanatic

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 182 replies, has 25 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Keith Collantine Keith Collantine 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 183 total)
  • Author
    Ned Flanders
    Participant

I’ve noticed over the past few weeks that there are quite a few people on this site who are interested in rallying. So, I thought it’d be handy to annex our own little section of the website so we can talk about the World’s second greatest motorsport, the World Rally Championship! (and the IRC and regional championships if anyone’s interested).

This time three months ago I couldn’t care less about rallying. All I knew was most of the manufacturers had deserted the series, and Sebastien Loeb was pretty much invincible. This is true, but when I bought the 2010 season review DVD I realised that regardless of this, rallying is great! There are some great personalities in there, some genuinely exciting and unpredictable rallies, and some fantastic stages and surroundings for the cars to navigate.

Best of all, it seems much more challenging and more like a genuine sport than F1: you see drivers repairing their broken cars, replacing punctured tyres, digging themselves out of the snow when they get stuck, and so on. As much as I admire F1 drivers, seeing Rally drivers racing flat out along a narrow track with anything from rocks, trees and cliff faces bordering the road, having to put all their trust in their co drivers… it kind of puts things into perspective.

Anyway- did anyone see Rally Mexico at the weekend? It was a shame Ogier blew it so near the end, although I doubt he would’ve held Loeb off in the end

ryanmack09

I like WRC i follow every rally as it happens i am hoping to go to world rally wales this year if i pass my driving test before it.

I like ford because they have 2 finns driving for them and If you want to win employ a finn. I like them because they seem more relaxed than citroen but i think what Citroen have done in the sport in such a short time is amazing. Loeb has won 7 straight champoionships and citroen have won 5 or 6 wcc that is amazing.

I would not like to pick between F1 and WRC because i think they are both amazing sports.

Ned Flanders
    Participant

I’d love to go to a rally, but Wales doesn’t really interest me that much. A weekend spent in the rain and cold in the middle of nowhere doesn’t really float my boat! I’d love to go to one of the foreign rallies though, especially Finland, which seems to be to be the most pretiguous rally of the season. Presumably though you’d need to have a car to get from stage to stage, which would be a problem…

JPedroCQF1
    Participant

What I most liked on the past 2 years of WRC – or PWRC, if you want – were the 2 titles that Armindo Arajo won. Here in Portugal of course there was always a lot of happiness but knowing that he is now commited to work with MINI and Prodrive and will do more rallies in the new car than the official team is quite great. Besides that, the livery of this year’s car is just great! You can see it on a MINI Countryman roadcar here: http://autosport.aeiou.pt/gen.pl?p=stories&op=view&fokey=as.stories/94452

Oh, and Ned, if choose to go watch a foreign rally, please come to Portugal. You will see it would be well worth the trip.

Ned Flanders
    Participant

Yep the Portuguese rally looks cool too! Nice weather, lots of fans, and some fast stages

AndrewTanner
    Participant

I’ve always liked watching the WRC but I decided to follow it more intently this year. Loved the trading places between Loeb and Ogier this weekend! Nice strong start from Raikkonen in Sweden too. I’d love to go to Wales…I should look more into that.

Admiteddly the WRC is a little more accessible (you can download an application form to compete from the FIA website!) but it’s not even comparable to F1. They’re both fantastic for different reasons.

Dan Thorn
    Participant

I used to absolutely love the WRC in the late 90′s/early 00′s. All the manufacturers, widely varying rallies (God I miss the Safari) and some truly great drivers made for some ridiculously close and brilliant championships.

Recently though, with only Ford and Citroen, Loeb being far superior to everyone else and some uninspring rallies, it’s a bit…dull. I don’t know if its the technology of the cars or just the current crop of drivers, but it’s nowhere near as exciting to watch. Also in the last couple of years the team orders that have emerged to do with road placing for the next day is just silly.

I still like the WRC though, and I’m hoping these new rules bring more manufacturers into the sport (The DS3 looks a-mazing).

This is one of my favourite things on youtube. Make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up every time… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozntieZs8Bg&feature=related

Also, is it just me or does anyone else feel like Ari Vatanen when they shield their eyes from the sun with one hand whilst driving?

Ned Flanders
    Participant

The lack of manufacturers doesn’t bother me that much. With Mini joining Ford and Citroen, and occasional privateer Subaru’s, Skoda’s etc, there are a fair few. Compare that to F1, which only has three, and Moto GP, which has 4, and it’s not so bad.

The problem for me, over the past couple of years at least, has been the lack of decent drivers and privateer teams. At the moment there are only 5 proven rally winners in the sport- Sordo too is a top level driver even though he has yet to win- but after that there’s not much to shout about.

Ostberg, Novikov and maybe even Raikkonen are likely to be stars of the future, Henning Solberg, Wilson and Villagra are good points scorers, but that’s about it. I mean, at Rally Mexico there were drivers finishing almost an hour off the leading times and still finishing in the points. Hopefully when the Mini’s bolster the field that’ll be a thing of the past

Polishboy808
    Participant

I love to watch rally, IRC, WRC and all its junior branches, and Amateur rallies all offer a kind of excitement that F1 doesn’t offer. The fact that they fly through forests near trees and rocks and perilous mountain drops keeps everyone on edge. Richard Burns Rally really showed me how tough rally really is, because one little mistake can send you off into the woods, or off a cliff. And rally is so much more accesible then even the cheapest formulae! Although it’s not WRC, you can join amateur rallies for well under 10,000 dollars! F1 will always be my favorite sport, but Rally is a really close second.

AndrewTanner
    Participant

I love watching Kimi :) Is he in Portugal? I think he is.

Icthyes
    Participant

If only WRC would have a live feed on their website like IndyCar. Even in its heyday all we got was a BBC highlights program.

Polishboy808
    Participant

Some awesome pictures from rally Mexico. Rally has to be the most amazing picture-sport in the world.

http://media.rallymexico.com/gallery.php?anio=2011&categoria=Day 1

MattHT

It’s main problem in attracting support is it’s tv output. I’ve liked rallying for a long time (carlos sainz was my favourite as a kid!) but watching it on tv is difficult because all you ever get is a condensed highlights package of 20+ cars going round the same 2 or 3 corners! Still, it is an interesting discipline, often carried out in the most beautiful surroundings and good fun off the track – much less of the unnecessary drama and uproar that follows every fart in f1!

JPedroCQF1
    Participant

@MattHT Now you have the Power Stage to watch. I know it’s not the same bacause the winner will be almost all the times already decided but it’s nice to watch.

George
    Participant

Icthyes – I used to love those highlights programs! I think the main problem with TV and rally is due to the stages being so big it costs too much to cover it properly (I seem to remember seeing a TV program where a director or something said as much).

Not sure what channel WRC is usually on, I caught a couple of highlights programs on Dave last year and they were pretty dire.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 183 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.