Group Mods

• Profile picture of AndrewTanner
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

World Rally Championship

Public Group active 5 days, 5 hours ago

The group for WRC fans.

2012 WRC season discussion

Tagged: 

This topic contains 53 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of AndrewTanner AndrewTanner 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    AndrewTanner
    Participant

Monte Carlo is under way this week.

Not an awful lot to report at the moment (the WRC site doesn’t seem to have taken note of the season start).

What are we looking forward to this season? Will Hirvonen bring the fight to Loeb or is he going to rest on his laurels and bide his time?

Will Mini turn recent fortunes around and attract some interest?

To the best of my knowledge coverage (in the UK) is on Eurosport and Motors TV.

JPedroCQF1
    Participant

I believe Hirvonen won’t risk beating Loeb this season, or Citroen might show him the door.

And Mini will get further and further down the field as they have almost no money to develop the Countryman WRC.

As for the Monte Carlo Rallye, Latvala has abandoned because of ice on the road. It seems he sliped while turning and just kept going until the end of the road, when he rolled over.

AndrewTanner
    Participant

I did hear about Mini’s situation. I wonder how it managed to get so bad so quickly?

I’ve just thought, I don’t want to spoil any results for anyone so perhaps we could user *** SPOILER *** alerts (or something more sophisticated perhaps!) just so we don’t ruin anything for anyone?

*** SPOILER ALERT ***

Yep. Disappointing for Latvala. My heart sank a little, I don’t like to think a rally is over just as it’s begun. Highlights are on shortly so I’ll be tuning in!

AndrewTanner
    Participant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7rGN2fZ23s

Looked pretty much impossible to rescue that, brakes don’t work well on ice. Cringed a bit when I heard the chassis smack the verge.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

It’s such a shame, because that was a brilliant tyre call that he made for the first pass of the stage. And Monte Carlo doesn’t have super-rally, so he can’t re-enter.

JPedroCQF1
    Participant

@prisoner-monkeys But that’s how rallies are decided. Miss a note and you can be out of the road. And actually, I think they’ve ended the super-rally rule for the whole year.

AndrewTanner
    Participant

The way they worded it on WRC Radio would suggest it’s not in place specifically for Monte Carlo. Maybe they’re trying both ways this season?

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Individual events are allowed to choose whether or not super-rally regulations will be permitted. Monte Carlo has said no.

AndrewTanner
    Participant

Fair enough! Thanks for that.

Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

I hadn’t realised the WRC season had started this week – the first I heard of it was seeing the “Latvala crashes out of the lead of Monte Carlo rally” stories. So I was both surprised and not surprised at the same time…

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

That’s mostly because of the insanity surroudning North One Sport and Vladimir Antonov.

But here is Eurosport’s coverage of Day 1, and it’s really quote good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpU3faRRYh8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrz-jMaMHY8&feature=related

Much more actual stage content, more camera angles, and less reliance on driver interviews than NOS gave us.

Chalky
    Participant

I watched some of the highlights last night.
    One of my frustrations with the WRC is their own website http://www.wrc.com. For goodness sake, the season has started and they still have not updated the Teams section to show the correct drivers!
    It’s ridiculous. How on earth can a casual fan know what is going on. Very poor.
    It should be the first port of call for all up to date information.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

@chalky – that’s because the official website is run by North One Sport, and they don’t exist anymore. They went into receivership when the guy who owned their parent company was arrested in November last year. Your best bet is to go through the Eurosport WRC site (http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/rally/) or Autosport for now. Once a more-permanent arrangement for a broadcaster is brought into effect, the official website will probably be restarted.

Anonymous

I’ve been following it a little but nowhere near as much as I’d like. It was a great call with the tyres from Latvala but trust him to crash out when he’s quick. Not really surprised at Hirvonen as he’s still settling in. I think Sordo is doing a terrific job. Ogier and Novikov are impressing me too (although I’m biased as I’m a massive fan of Novikov) for the way they’ve settled in. I didn’t expect either to stun or be near the top but they’re doing good jobs I feel.

@Chalky agree about the website. It’s incredibly frustrating.

AndrewTanner
    Participant

I just literally saw the news about NOS on the Android iRally app. Todt is speaking to the media in the next couple of days and he is expected to full us in on the future of the sports promotion.

Sordo is indeed doing well @Steph Meeke must be so, so frustrated.

Am I correct in assuming that the Power Stage still exists? No sign of it on the Eurosport scheduling.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.