Group Mods

• Profile picture of AndrewTanner
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

World Rally Championship

Public Group active 3 weeks, 3 days ago

The group for WRC fans.

Crowd control in rallying

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 11 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Matthijs Matthijs 11 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

Here’s a picture from a recent rally that’s likely to provoke some debate over crowd control:

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

I remember the bad old days of the 1980s, when the stages used to be packed and the crowds would taunt the cars like matadors before a bull. It was especially bad in Portugal. I’m sure more than one person lost a finger to an air intake of a speeding rally car that they tried to touch.

Honestly, I’m surprised that this sort of stuff still happens, and doubly so at the highest level of competition. The (handful of) local rallies that I have been to have organised their spectator areas on a level with the safety measures the organisers of Rally Australia took when I visited back in 2005.

tmekt
    Participant

Don’t drink and spectate!

sato113
    Participant

inside of the corner. nothing wrong IMO.
    if they were standing in the same place we wouldnt be complaining.

We would be complaining. A driver could make a mistake or lose control and we’d have a tragedy on our hands.

Totally unacceptable to put drivers in that position where a mistake could leave them traumatised for the rest of their lives just for your stupid amusement.

Fixy
    Participant

Is the positioning itself the problem? I have seen people so close to the tracks many times and I thought it was custom to do so, but facing the car at least gives you the time to try and run away in case somethign happens.
    These fools don’t even care about their lives, or don’t even think they are at risk, which is plain stupid. I’m always surprised and saddened by how little wisdom some people have. What to do? Call them off like kids? Probably, they should receive some sort of fine as well.

DC
    Participant
    DaveF1
    Participant

There’s a very fine line between being extremely brave and being extremely stupid.

GeeMac
    Participant

An appaling image, there is no place in motorsport for that kind of idiocy.

If the driver and co-driver of that Polo had decided during the recce that they could cut that bend (which actually looks possible from the image) those 6 guys would be 6 feet under right now.

the_sigman
    Participant

Τhis must be from my country, I hope they are just the exception but I’m afraid most people behave like that. Unfortunate.

the_sigman
    Participant

Look at the start of the video. Afan nearly gets run over by Al Rajhi in Rally Finland, maybe the most experienced rally in the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3f8P4mp82k

Matthijs
    Participant

This fan is extremely stupid in two ways:
    1. He is standing on the outside of the corner in the middle of the runoff area, therefore ignoring the boundaries of where the spectators are allowed to stand
    2. He is running away in the same direction the car is going, junp right and there is no problem.

The driver of the car isn’t too bright either, but that is probably because of adrenaline.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.