Group Mods

• Profile picture of AndrewTanner
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

World Rally Championship

Public Group active 1 month ago

The group for WRC fans.

Ford to leave WRC at end of 2012

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 13 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Prisoner Monkeys Prisoner Monkeys 2 years ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Keith Collantine
    Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

More bad news for the WRC as Ford is pulling works support for its team. M-Sport intend to continue running Fiestas in next year’s season:

My intention is that we will continue to push to secure stage wins and overall results on the forthcoming events for Ford and to push forward with the development work that was started in March this year to improve and refine the Fiesta WRC even further, ready for the 2013 season.

http://www.m-sport.co.uk/index.php/news/1259-m-sport-press-release

Profile photo of Fer no.65
    Fer no.65
    Participant

Baaaaaaaaaaaah ! :( What have they done to rallying :(?

It’s so sad to see just 2 manufacturers racing each other. Now we’ll only have Citroen and Volkswagen. Not many stars on the drivers side either.

To think that 9 years ago, we had Burns, Makkinen, McRae, Groenholm, Loeb, Solberg, Sainz… Pug, Subaru, Ford, Citroen, Skoda, Hyundai, Mitsubishi…

FIA needs to concentrate on bringing back WRC :/.

Profile photo of robk23
    robk23
    Participant

I’ve been expecting this may happen for a while although lately I thought Ford would stay with Hyundai now entering. Of course Citroen might leave at the end of next year to do the WTCC with Loeb so 2014 may just be Hyundai vs Volkswagen.

Profile photo of Chalky
    Chalky
    Participant

Maybe it’s me, but World Rally really shouldn’t cost what it does to run.
    That’s me assuming it’s a financial reason for the teams leaving and not an image thing (Unless we are winning we are not competing). WRC used to be a great spectacle.

Profile photo of Prisoner Monkeys
    Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

It’s a shame, but I’m not surprised. Ford are notoriously non-committal when it cons to providing works support. Here in Australia, they tend to wait until the last minute, and even then, they only pledge the bare minimum.

Profile photo of AndrewTanner
    AndrewTanner
    Participant

No way :( That’s pretty awful news.

What is happening to this sport?!

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

What is happening to this sport?!

Nobody can compete with Citroen. And nobody wants to be able to spend the money to be able to compete with them, because there is no guarantee that they will succeed.

Profile photo of ajokay
    Anonymous

What with no-one having any money any more, does motorsport just need to drop back to being a sport full of private racing teams doing everything on a shoestring, simply for the love of racing?

Profile photo of MazdaChris
    MazdaChris
    Participant

There’s a pretty spot-on article on Autosport (subs only) about this, basically saying it’s a monumental mistake for Ford to pull out right now. The Fiesta WRC looks like being the class of the field, and Loeb has effectively said he won’t be contesting the title next year. These two facts mean that next year will be the best chance for Ford in probably over a decade to secure both championships. And they’re pulling a plug with a great little race car in the garage. Smacks of Honda pulling out of F1 at the end of 2008 doesn’t it..

Profile photo of Fer no.65
    Fer no.65
    Participant

Yeah, they should’ve stayed one more year and see what’d happen without Loeb…

Profile photo of Matthew
    Matthew
    Participant

Can anybody tell me the last time Ford wasn’t in the WRC as a manufacturer?

I know a lot has been said about M-Sport running the Ford team as the factory outfit since ’97 but Ford were in it before then as Ford right?

Profile photo of robk23
    robk23
    Participant

Latvala is at Volkswagen for 2013, I wonder how long those talks have been going on for? Surely not since Monday?

Profile photo of AndrewTanner
    AndrewTanner
    Participant

@mazdachris It does seem like a silly decision when you look at it like that but I guess the big wigs at Ford would have decided this quite a while ago before they knew of Loeb’s situation. I would expect that their various resources and cash will have been allocated to something else by now.

Very sad, but at least the WRC is getting all its bad news in one season! 2013 could be fantastic if everything works into position.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Speaking of Ford (there’s no other place for this that I can see), Thierry Neuville and Evgeny Novikov have joined Qatar M-Sport alongside Mads Ostberg and Nasser al’Attiyah (Juho Hanninen will compete at selected events).

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.