• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of AndrewTanner
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

World Rally Championship

Public Group active 1 week, 2 days ago

The group for WRC fans.

No more Rally Acropolis!

This topic contains 10 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of andae23 andae23 10 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of DC
    DC
    Participant

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/110138
    It says it all:

“The Acropolis is an iconic event. It was always a good, challenging rally that the drivers were all looking forward to all season.

“And when you see the situation in Greece, everybody takes everything from Greece; on a human level, I don’t know how the country will survive if these people keep having everything taken from them.

“They are very proud people and if you take everything – including their pride – away from them then I don’t know how they can catch up.”

So what do you folks think? (keep in mind that this almost is like loosing Spa in F1 – which did happen at least twice in recent years)

Profile photo of MazdaChris
    MazdaChris
    Participant

Very sad news. Saddest loss from the WRC calendar since they cancelled the Safari Rally.

Profile photo of the_sigman
    the_sigman
    Participant

Oh, no!

Let’s hope WRC can be back here!

Profile photo of Fisha695
    Fisha695
    Participant

Didn’t they not run it a few years ago? 2009 or 2010?

Profile photo of Matthijs
    Matthijs
    Participant

Sad to see it go, it was iconic indeed.

But these quotes about ´everybody takes everything from Greece´; if it’s about the financial position the country is in, I find it utter nonsense. Greece has debts to pay, and at some point people come to collect. Now it souds like they all are the victims of a big conspiracy against Greece.

Profile photo of GeeMac
    GeeMac
    Participant

That’s a shame, the Acropolis is one of the real icons of world motorsport. I always loved watching it, the punishment the cars and drivers suffered was unreal.

Profile photo of Prisoner Monkeys
    Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

If ever there was an example of misplaced nostalgia, this was it. The Acropolis might have been an iconic rally, but it has been a shadow of its former self for years now. The route has been horrible for nearly a decade, and the event itself hasn’t been particularly well-run. It’s basically been trading on its name for a while now. I’m disappointed that an historic rally has to go, but given the state of the Acropolis, I’m not sorry about it.

Profile photo of xivizmath
    xivizmath
    Participant

Acropolis out, Poland in.

I, for one, rejoiced at the news.

Profile photo of Prisoner Monkeys
    Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Good news for the Acropolis, with the event finding a new home in the European Rally Championship, where its sprint format is probably much better-suited.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/111346

Profile photo of andae23
    andae23
    Participant

Very happy with that.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.