• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of AndrewTanner
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

World Rally Championship

Public Group active 4 weeks ago

The group for WRC fans.

Pikes Peak record for Loeb

This topic contains 14 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of TommyB TommyB 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Ludwig
    Ludwig
    Participant

As expected (and highly anticipated), Sebastian Loeb managed a spectacular record run in the 91st Pikes Peak International Hill Climb. In the Peugeot 208 T16 (875 hp, 875 kg), he beat the previous record time by over a minute and a half: 8.13.878 (previous record: 2012, Rhys Millen 9.46.164, Hyundai Genesis)

Run starts at 5.30:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2iw5hydsFI

Profile photo of Funkyf1
    Funkyf1
    Participant

Incredible drive along with incredibly bad coverage.

Profile photo of Ludwig
    Ludwig
    Participant

Completely agree, Funkyf1, but I haven’t managed to find any onboard or closer shot footage of the record run yet.

Profile photo of Funkyf1
    Funkyf1
    Participant

Search YouTube, Pikes Peak 2013 you will clips that contain on board footage. Thanks for the original post.

Profile photo of Mads
    Mads
    Participant

We need a full onboard video! Those overhead shots are completely useless.
    Anyway, I expected him to beat the record. But by that margin? Holy cow.

Profile photo of Keith Collantine
    Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

What on earth was going on with the course control, though?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO1wgsWbWSo

Profile photo of Aditya F. Yahya
    Aditya F. Yahya
    Participant

seriously what’s wrong on those people brains?

Profile photo of xbx-117
    xbx-117
    Participant

Words fail me. Those people. Unbelievable. Still, astounding run by Loeb.

Profile photo of Nick
    Nick
    Participant

Great run by Loeb, but those morons are downright suicidally stupid.

Interesting to see another driver broke the old record as well, but was still miles behind Loeb. Here’s hoping this isn’t a one-off from Loeb and Peugeot.

Profile photo of TommyB
    TommyB
    Participant

Here’s the full run from onboard. Pure engine sound too. Lovely http://www.redbull.com/en/motorsports/stories/1331598982312/video-loeb-pikes-peak-record

Profile photo of Keith Collantine
    Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

On the onboard you can see one of the idiots getting out of the way at 0:47s.

Profile photo of S.J.M
    S.J.M
    Participant

Its a great run, I love the on-boards for Pikes Peak and very well done to Loeb.

But I have to ask, how recent has it been all tarmac? It can’t have been that long ago right? That must make a massive difference since it used to be a heavy about of gravel going up the peak, which surely makes for a quicker time. I suppose that in times like this safety is a massive concern, and rightly so, but it just feels like its yet another classic race has been “sanitised”.

Profile photo of Nick
    Nick
    Participant

@SJM

According to wikipedia:

It used to consist of both gravel and paved sections, however as of August 2011, the highway is fully paved and as a result all subsequent runnings will be on tarmac from start to finish. [...] The 2011 running was the last running of the Pikes Peak Hill Climb that had dirt sections of the course, for approximately 30% of the route, as Colorado Springs is being forced by a Sierra Club lawsuit to pave the road all the way to the summit.[3] The paving project was completed in August, 2011.

Making this the second running on full-tarmac.

Profile photo of S.J.M
    S.J.M
    Participant

Thanks @Nick . Shame it had to happen, if not really too much of a surprise. At least we still have youtube videos of the likes of Rohrl & Vatanen in full sliding mode up the tracks ;)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.