Group Mods

• Profile picture of AndrewTanner
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

World Rally Championship

Public Group active 2 weeks ago

The group for WRC fans.

Red Bull to become WRC promoter?

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of robk23 robk23 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of AndrewTanner
    AndrewTanner
    Participant

Report from Motorsport.com

http://www.motorsport.com/wrc/news/is-red-bull-going-to-be-announced-as-the-new-wrc-promoter/

Hopefully they will attract a new audience to the WRC if they’re successful. I’d be interested to see exactly how they’re going to promote things.

Profile photo of Keith Collantine
    Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

I think it would be an excellent fit with Red Bull’s extreme sports-orientated marketing.

But would it be a conflict of interest for them to promote the series as well as sponsoring some of the competitors?

Profile photo of Prisoner Monkeys
    Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

@keithcollantine – Not at all. The promoter’s role in the sport is largely to advertise the rallies. They secure broadcast deals, arrange public relations for the category and generally bind everything together so there is consistency from event to event. There is no real cross-over between sponsors and promoters.

Besides, there are rumours that Nasser al-Attiyah is on the verge of buying the Citroen works team to expand the Qatar team.

Profile photo of AndrewTanner
    AndrewTanner
    Participant

It probably doesn’t look good on paper to have the promoter sponsoring teams but I guess the two are separate entities. I’m just curious what they could do with regards to taking the sport up a gear, particularly with how they engage with the fans. This year has been a bit of a write-off for the whole WRC but the televised Power Stage ought to be brought back as well as having extended highlights available and some organisation with World Rally Radio.

Profile photo of robk23
    robk23
    Participant

The sponsorship money and the race promotion originate from two areas of the company. In other words, Red Bull Media House would be the promoter, sponsorship money comes directly from Red Bull or one of their national subsidiaries.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.