Group Mods

• Profile picture of AndrewTanner
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

World Rally Championship

Public Group active 2 weeks, 1 day ago

The group for WRC fans.

Toyota confirms rallying return with WRC-ready Yaris R1A

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Prisoner Monkeys Prisoner Monkeys 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

Toyota have confirmed they are producing a new rally car based on the Yaris.

It will make its first appearance at the Rally of Germany, though only as a course car.

Once fully homologated the car will be able to compete at all levels of rallying up to and including the WRC. Press release and pics below:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34829627@N03/7772311324/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34829627@N03/7772309524/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34829627@N03/7772308678/in/photostream

Toyota Motorsport GmbH (TMG) will return to rallying with the entry-level TMG Yaris R1A car, which will be showcased in public for the first time at the ADAC Rallye Deutschland (24-26 August).

TMG has developed the TMG Yaris R1A specifically to provide an affordable, exciting entry into rallying for competitors young and old. TMG is taking orders immediately, with donor car and upgrade kit (excluding tax and installation) priced at approximately €22,500.

The FIA’s R1A regulations permit only limited performance modifications to the standard 1.33l petrol-engined, three-door Yaris. TMG’s upgrade kit includes racing exhaust and catalytic converter system, shorter final drive gear, motorsport suspension with adapted springs and adjustable ride height

In addition, comprehensive safety equipment features bolt-in roll cage, guards for sump, fuel tank and fuel lines, fire extinguishers, rally seats and safety harness plus power cut-off switch.

Before the end of the year, the TMG Yaris R1A is expected to become the first car in the world to be awarded FIA R1A (up to 1400cc) homologation. This qualifies the car to compete on regional, national and international competitions all the way up to World Rally Championship events.

After a positive test in July in Saarland, the TMG Yaris R1A will make its public debut in the ADAC Rallye Deutschland, the ninth round of the WRC. It will run as a ‘zero car’ on the event, running at close to full speed in its role as course vehicle, confirm safe road conditions and announcing the start of each stage.

It will be driven by Isolde Holderied, a former works driver in the German Rally Championship during TMG’s world championship-winning rally era. TMG team member Herbie Hossbach will co-drive.

The TMG Yaris R1A represents the first stage in a wider plan from TMG to supply cost-effective and fun motorsport cars to private entrants.

Yoshiaki Kinoshita, TMG President: “It is a great thrill for TMG to return to rallying, a discipline in which we enjoyed a great deal of success in the past. The TMG Yaris R1A is a completely different project compared to our WRC past; it is an affordable but exciting car which makes rallying’s major events accessible to a whole range of participants. We have already received numerous inquiries about this car so we know there is a huge appetite in the rally world for a new Toyota; I hope this is the start of a new rally dynasty at TMG.”

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

This is defiantely a step in the right direction. With all the troubles the category has faced, it sorely needed new manufacturers involved in the sport, even if Toyota isn’t directly running a team like the other manufacturers.

Although I do admit that I am uncertain about the R1A regulations – this is the first I’ve heard of them. Would someone mind explaining them to me?

Roberto
    Participant

How nice! I’m happy to see new manufactures, especially a good and old one like Toyota. Am I wrong or there was another manufacture ready to join WRC? Hyundai maybe? Can anyone confirm it? :)
    Anyways, when will be there their entry?

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Nope, no word on any other manufacturers looking to join at this point.

Joey-Poey
    Participant

Cool! I have a sedan instead of a hatchback, but as a Yaris owner, this neat to hear :D.

Though I hope it has more power than the road-going one. Mine struggles up steep hills X)

Carlitox
    Participant

As long as they don’t mess up the air intake I’m happy ;) hehehe.

No, seriously, the addition of VW and Toyota is a great boost for the WRC and IMO they are big threats for Emperor Loeb. Especially that guy named Ogier…

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

The Yaris isn’t going to be a WRC car. It will be in the R1A category. Apparently there are several new categories being introduced – including one for GT cars – but I don’t know if they are additional classes of car or a complete restructuring of the WRC.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Okay, I’ve asked around a little and done a bit of research, and this is how the TMG Yaris R1A fits into everything:

Basically, the existing car classes – Super 2000, Group N and Group A – are going to be discontinued (though the WRC class will continue). No new cars will be homologated under these rules. Instead, the entire class system is going to be restructured with the new R-class cars. Every car that is homologated will be placed into one of five classes, designated R1 through to R5. Every car within these classes will be given a further designation referring to engine size. The Yaris is in Group R1A, which is the entry level: the cars are small, simple, and very close to their road-going counterparts.

Here are some examples that I have found:

Class R1
    2WD cars with minimal modifications – very close to stock cars
    R1A – 1.4-litre, naturally aspirated (ie Toyota TMG Yaris)
    R1B – 1.6-litre, naturally aspirated (ie Renault Twingo R1, Ford Fiesta R1)

Class R2
    Still 2WD, but with more modifications than the R1 class
    R2B – 1.6-lire, naturally aspirated (ie Skoda Fabia R2, Citroen C2 R2, Peugeot 208 R2)
    R2C – 2.0-litre, naturally-aspirated (no cars homologated under R2C regulations – yet)

Class R3
    Top 2WD drive class, with potential for more modification than R1 and R2
    R3C – 2.0-litre, naturally-aspirated (ie Renault Clio R3, Honda Civic R3)
    R3D – 2.0-litre, diesel (ie Fiat Punto R3D
    R3T – 1.6-litre, turbo (ie Citroen DS3 R3T, Peugeot 207 R3T)

Class R4
    For existing Group A and Group N cars, with modifications

Class R5
    Newly-created successor to Super 2000

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.