• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of AndrewTanner
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

World Rally Championship

Public Group active 3 weeks ago

The group for WRC fans.

UK TV coverage

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Prisoner Monkeys Prisoner Monkeys 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Does anybody know if the WRC will be broadcast live in the UK on TV? If not live then what about extensive highlights? Even anything because I do love Rally but just don’t seem to find any programs on the TV about it. Also are there any decent online streams if the TV cannot provide my fix.

Ryan Williams
    Participant

There is no UK TV coverage of the WRC this year, however….

…there are daily highlight packages available @ http://www.wrc.com/video/ but these are usually uploaded after the event.

For live coverage, your best bet is World Rally Radio (http://www.worldrallyradio.com)

Anonymous

If it’s true about no TV coverage then it’s very disappointing. But thank you for the links I shall give them both a go see if I can get my fix.

Ryan Williams
    Participant

Sad to think that in less than a decade we’ve gone from having the WRC in a prime, mid-afternoon slot on terrestrial TV, to no coverage at all

Journeyer
    Participant

Live coverage is available via WRC Live (just a renamed WRC Radio) on the WRC website.

There is actually a blog post describing the sad and sorry decline of WRC coverage in the UK: http://f1broadcasting.wordpress.com/2013/01/27/the-plight-of-the-world-rally-championship/

AndrewTanner
    Participant

I read that S4C were showing highlights but I checked the TV guide extensively at the time and to no avail unfortunately.

You can catch it all on this YouTube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/wrcforeva and it’s all usually uploaded within a day of broadcast on Speed.

It’s pretty rubbish to be honest. They had a golden opportunity to reinvigorate the championship this year with all the changes and that opportunity has gone.

WarfieldF1
    Participant

Death of Rallying…. or Death of the TV Coverage of Rallying?

Both really and maybe they are connected.
    Rallies…., everybody wanted a rally in the noughties, rally japan, poland, ireland etc etc…to the point that the core rallys were every year and these new ones every two years as there were so many of them!! Now, just the core remains, no money left for places like Ireland to run such an event. But the calendar isnt crowded anymore and the classics should maintain an interest. Monte Carlo and Sweden finished this year and i saw nothing; i am back to the eighties where i had to spend a fortune on Rally “newspapers” to keep up to date although now i hunt the web for reports and snippets. I doubt the supporters have gone, but like everything it isnt about the supporters its about the casual fans who can be easily distracted and as we see with all TV viewing figures everything is down as we all have Sky etc and hundreds of demands on our time. Maybe we should just expect fewer viewers and take less for the tv rights. Even last year with Motors TV it was enough coverage to keep me happy and up to date.
    Rally Car Costs………Likewise the costs have come down yet we have less entrants; this is unlikely to be about TV figures because there was bugger all tv coverage in the eighties and yet audi and peugeot et al were spending a fortune on rallying. Simple almost standardised 1.6 turbo engines, stock gearboxes and no trick diffs anymore should get in more car manufacturers but it isnt; more likely just because they are skint than for any complicated reason. Ford never had the success they required, especially with hirvonen and latvala, andi suspect that is due to driver skill as much as anything else as this year is starting to prove with these two drivers. With few manufacturer teams there is little chance of new drivers getting there, this year sees the demise of Petter and to a lesser extent Loeb; no place for Meeke or the many others lost through the demise of the IRC!! Where are Lancia, Fiat, Toyota, Subaru, Mitsubishi, Peugeot,Audi ?? Either part of groups that are involved and cannot therefore enter(pug and audi); skint at present (pug, the japanse firms, fiat) or involved in other things and only doing one thing at a time (Toyota) Rallying was always dear, its just that now we are all poor!!

Coverage??,,,,,,,,,,,,well i thought Ch4 did a great job; build up programmes, shows every day, virtual spectator…..but if i remember correctly the figures never equalled the money spent on the rights; ITV have the opposite of the midas touch in most things so no surprise there and i miss most things on ITV4 as its buried in the sky menu instead of being in the sports lists. Dave?…really?? that was destined to fail for the same reason as ITV4. Just let Motors TV have it for nothing before WRC dies in the UK; it wont bring in any less revenue to the FIA than they are already getting and may keep it alive for future development.

Surely Rallying was made for TV because it is so hard to watch where it is happening ….despite being free.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Death of Rallying…. or Death of the TV Coverage of Rallying?

Both really and maybe they are connected.

More likely neither. There may not be dedicated coverage in the UK, but that doesn’t automatically mean that th series is dying. There’s actually quite a lot of coverage in continental Europe, most of which has been better than ever.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.