Group Admins

• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

World Touring Car Championship (WTCC)

Public Group active 2 weeks, 1 day ago

Group for fans of the World Touring Car Championship (WTCC).

2012 WTCC rounds one and two – Monza

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of bag0 bag0 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Keith Collantine
    Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

The World Touring Car Championship starts this weekend.

The first two races are in Monza. Will we see another Chevrolet whitewash? How will newcomers Tom Chilton and James Nash get on in their Focuses?

Here in the UK the races are on Eurosport on Sunday at 12 noon and 3:45pm.

Profile photo of robk23
    robk23
    Participant

From testing so far, the Chevys look to be in control, Alex MacDowell is looking the best of the independents (and newcomers). The Fords won’t have much of a chance this weekend as they’re carrying penalty ballast for a technical infringement relating to the suspension.

Profile photo of Girts
    Girts
    Participant

I’ll be watching as many WTCC races as I can this year. All the necessary ingredients are there, except probably a fierce competition between different teams / manufacturers. I love the diversity among the drivers – Franz Engstler and Gabriele Tarquini both are already 50 years old, while Pepe Oriola is only 17 and there are quite many drivers below 30. There will be 10 rookies on the Monza grid and the calendar has seen some changes, too. 5 best qualifiers are now going to get points, while the reverse grids (for the 2nd race) have remained. Unfortunately money plays a big role here, too. Javier Villa, a quite promising young driver and one of my favourites, was forced to give up his seat because of financial reasons just a few days before the season start.

Chevrolet’s domination is widely expected to continue and I will be surprised if anyone else except Huff and Muller is able to fight for the title. Ford will most probably need time to adapt to the series and, as I understand, the manufacturer’s input in the operation is not as serious as Chevrolet’s. I believe Tarquini (SEAT) and Coronel (BMW) will still be the biggest threat to Chevys, particularly as SEAT has partly returned to the series as manufacturer.

Bring it on!

Profile photo of bag0
    bag0
    Participant

Guys I must say I’m lucky not seein R2 Live.
    Im hungarian, the ZENGO team is also hungarian, with two hungarian drivers, Michelisz was leading R2 from lap 1 and on lap 7 Yvan Muller prayed to the Gods, and they answered with a bird.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6PyjYH9I24

Man I was so angry when I heard the news, a mere bird taking away the chances of a win

Michelisz said afterwards, that he didn’t know what happened, but he suddenyl felt a bang, and he could not control his car properly after the crash. They say it struck the front right suspension.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.