Group Admins

• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

World Touring Car Championship (WTCC)

Public Group active 2 weeks, 4 days ago

Group for fans of the World Touring Car Championship (WTCC).

Citroen confirm WTCC entry with Sebastien Loeb in 2014

This topic contains 45 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Prisoner Monkeys Prisoner Monkeys 1 year ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Keith Collantine
    Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

Citroen have confirmed they will compete in the World Touring Car Championship next year with Sebastien Loeb as part of their driver line-up.

Press release:

Citroën announced today that they will join the FIA World Touring Car Championship from the next season, and that nine-time World Rally champion Sébastien Loeb will be part of the team.

This will be Citroën’s first ever commitment in a world racing championship after winning eight WRC Manufacturers titles.

Olivier Fisch, Managing Director Eurosport Events, commented: “We are honoured that a major
    car manufacturer like Citroën and a motor sport superstar like Sébastien Loeb have chosen WTCC to continue their cooperation after winning so many World Rally titles. This is a an exceptional reward for all the efforts Eurosport Events is putting in to organize and promote the championship.”

WTCC General Manager Marcello Lotti echoed: “The addition of the pair formed by Citroën and Sébastien Loeb is a big boost for WTCC on the eve of a technical evolution. We are confident that their arrival joint to the new generations of racing cars will contribute to further enhance the championship’s popularity and visibility worldwide.”

“Citroën Racing has spent the last few months looking in detail at this programme,” revealed Frédéric Banzet, CEO of the Citroën Brand. “The WTCC is based on several aspects that are essential to Citroën: extensive media coverage, regulations that keep costs down and a genuinely global race calendar. Our involvement in this championship will give us not only another chance to showcase our Créative Technologie but it will also help us to develop the Brand in promising, growth markets such as China, Russia and South America.”

“Competing in a category for the first time, starting from scratch, gives our division a superb challenge,” confirmed Yves Matton, Citroën Racing Team Principal. “We will be able to re-use a large part of our existing expertise, starting with the DS3 WRC’s 1.6-litre direct injection turbo engine. Work has already begun in our Versailles technical centre and is set to be stepped up in the coming weeks, with the first tests of our car and the start of our development programme to prepare for the 2014 season.”

Sébastien Loeb has made no secret of his enthusiasm about tackling this challenge: “It’s a bit of a dream to think that we are going to write a new chapter in our history. I can’t wait to get out on track in the car and start testing. I have used this transitional year to try out various experiences and to improve my track driving skills. I don’t expect to win straight away, but I am determined to get there one day.”

Great to see a manufacturer commit to the WTCC after so many have pulled out recently.

Surprised that Loeb would go WTCC racing, but fair play to him. He’s a legendary driver who would probably have success in whatever series he put his mind to.

Profile photo of Journeyer
    Journeyer
    Participant

Hmmm… Macau is just an hour’s flight away… Time to start saving up? :)

Profile photo of ajokay
    Anonymous

I don’t expect to win straight away

Hah, don’t be silly Sebastien, of course you do!

Makes me wonder why he races a McLaren in the GT series and Citroen haven’t gone all out to provide a real-life GT by Citroen for him to drive.

Profile photo of Calum
    Calum
    Participant

Don’t care what the discipline is, I love seeing new racing cars: when is the Citreon WTCC unveil!?

Profile photo of Prisoner Monkeys
    Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

They haven’t fixed a date yet. Right now, their main concern is salvaging their WRC campaign.

Profile photo of robk23
    robk23
    Participant

They’re expected to begin testing ‘in the next few weeks’.

Profile photo of Ratboy
    Ratboy
    Keymaster

What car are they using? all their range is bascially the same just increasing in size..

Unless they go retro with a Xantia :D

Profile photo of Prisoner Monkeys
    Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

@ratboy – If they’ve made a decision on what car to use, they haven’t made it public yet.

Profile photo of ajokay
    Anonymous

You’d have to imagine it likely they’d use a nice racey version of the DS4.

Profile photo of Mike Dee
    Mike Dee
    Participant

Hopefully the Citroën version of the Peugeot 208 T16 Pikes Peak :) I guess that would be the C3.

Profile photo of robk23
    robk23
    Participant

Neil Hudson at TouringCarTimes has identified the new WTCC car as the Citroen C-Elysée. There’s a good shot of the shell 22 seconds in to the video at the bottom of the page.

http://www.touringcartimes.com/2013/07/22/citroen-teases-with-video-of-new-wtcc-challenger/

Profile photo of Force Maikel
    Force Maikel
    Participant

“The Citroën Elysée is a compact sedan car produced for the Chinese domestic market by the Dongfeng Peugeot-Citroën Automobile, a joint venture between the French PSA Group (Peugeot-Citroën) and the Chinese manufacturer Dongfeng Motor.”

My worst fear has come trough, off all the cars in their assortiment they have managed to choose the worst of them all!

Profile photo of robk23
    robk23
    Participant

Well I suppose it fits in with their desire to promote their vehicles in the emerging markets.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.