Group Admins

• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

World Touring Car Championship (WTCC)

Public Group active 3 days, 18 hours ago

Group for fans of the World Touring Car Championship (WTCC).

Michelisz wins at home in Hungary

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of bag0 bag0 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    robk23
    Participant

That was a very good race, especially for the tens of thousands of Hungarian fans who saw Norbert Michelisz win at his home event. I thought it would be another Chevy win once Menu had passed Bennani and Oriola but he was still nearly 2 seconds behind Michelisz at the finish line. It was also a welcome change to see Yvan Muller come home 10th, having been put under pressure by D’Aste on the last lap and coming off worse for it.

The last two events have been better than the processional races we’ve come to expect from the WTCC although I’ll doubt we’ll see Slovakia back next year.

Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

The first race in Hungary was pretty forgettable – Michelisz winning was the only really remarkable thing about the second one. That was a cracker of a start from fifth on the grid! It’ll be a while before we see a more popular winner than that in any series…

Bradley Downton
    Participant

@keithcollantine – Agreed, that was something else. The reaction of the fans was, so enjoyable to watch. It was incredible. Racing was dull as anything though, unfortunately.

bag0
    Participant

Well, from my point of view (as a hungarian), the first race was good too. If Menu did not toch Norbi at the first corner, he would have turned P3-4 and he had the pace to stay ahead of everyone except the chevys. But he dropped back to P12, and made it to P6, ok, Weber (Gabor) let him pass at the chicane, but the overtake at T14 then T1 was pretty impressive. Im just sorry that Coronel was so good, it was a nasty but genius pass on Norbi at the Alesi. All in all, I think (Mark) Webber should take lessons from Michelisz.

robk23
    Participant

Is there any other race of the calendar where the attendance and enthusiasm of the fans is the same as in Hungary, I suppose Italy is very similar. There is the slight issue in that only 10 drivers on the grid today actually have a home race this year though.

bag0
    Participant

I think every GP could have fullhouse, if they made the tickets cheaper. Last year, the WTCC weekend was free, this year a ticket for the whole weekend was about $15 (paddock: +$15/day)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.