Group Admins

• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

World Touring Car Championship (WTCC)

Public Group active 1 week, 4 days ago

Group for fans of the World Touring Car Championship (WTCC).

Nurburgring Nordschleife to join 2015 calendar

This topic contains 15 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Calum Calum 5 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Keith Collantine
    Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

Here’s some exciting news: The World Touring Car Championship will race on the 25 kilometre long Nurburgring Nordschleife next year.

The race will be held as part of the Nurburgring 24 Hours weekend and the current plan is for the WTCC’s normal programme of two 60 km races to be merged into one.

More details here:

http://www.fiawtcc.com/news/detail/id/3308/t/WTCC-AT-N%C3%9CRBURGRING-NORDSCHLEIFE-IN-2015

To the best of my knowledge the last major touring car event on the Nordschleife was the DTM race in 1993:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-edLvr4Mv8

The last world championship event was the 1983 Nurburgring 1000km, part of the World Sportscar Championship. F1, of course, hasn’t raced there since 1976, the year of Niki Lauda’s famous accident.

Profile photo of hunocsi
    hunocsi
    Participant

To the best of my knowledge the last major touring car event on the Nordschleife was the DTM race in 1993

Porsche Supercup had a race on the Nordschleife three years ago.

Profile photo of jodrell
    jodrell
    Participant

Given that F1 stopped racing there because of saftey, how many marshals, helicopters and ambulances do they have on standby now when races are held?

Profile photo of Keith Collantine
    Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

@hunocsi That would be sports cars though, no?

Also, just remembered we had a fascinating comment from a reader who was at the last DTM race in 1993:

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/groups/dtm-deustche-tourenwagen-masters/forum/topic/video-dtms-last-race-on-the-nordschleife-1993/#post-207775

Profile photo of hunocsi
    hunocsi
    Participant

@keithcollantine Well, yes. Somehow in my mind they were always considered touring cars, maybe because the visual speed difference between them and the formula cars on the same day, and also the fact that they run quite short races. I even see DTM less of a touring car and more of a sports car race as most of the drivers rather compare them to faster categories, even Formula 1 cars.

The Porsche Supercup was just the biggest series that came to my mind.

Profile photo of toiago
    toiago
    Participant

This is definitely great news for the WTCC.

Could this be some sort of trial by the FIA to see if there are good enough conditions to have other championships racing there?

Profile photo of Iestyn Davies
    Iestyn Davies
    Participant

Indeed, @toiago!

How do the WTCC cars compare in speed to the old DTM? I imagine a bit slower then? If I remember correctly, the commenter was saying that ’93 was getting fast, and ’94 might have led to some dangerous crashes.

Norbert Michelisz will be stoked.. he has extensive experience of it from GPL – PB of 7:49.1. The WR is 7:43.9, so the game is about 20 seconds faster than Clark’s real life pole time of 8:04.1. Michelisz was only 5 seconds off the WR, and 10 seconds off overall (a lap of all 67 tracks, with Rouen instead of Bugatti). My PB is 8:01.1, but I really should have broken 8 minutes by now.. overall, I’m about 30 seconds off the top. Michelisz last drove it in 2004, but checked on the site briefly in 2012. Before that, 2009, by which point he was already in WTCC.

So I wonder if this will give Michelisz a slight advantage come the race?

Profile photo of the_sigman
    the_sigman
    Participant

Ι believe that the main advantage will be for Loeb. In rallying, even with the co-driver, you may well see something unexpected in a corner, and it is so difficult to remember all corners here, even for the drivers…

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

Has Loeb driven it though? Trust me, Michelisz has basically driven it an unlimited amount of times. To get a sub-8, you have to string 4 2-minute sectors together, so that’s basically like 4 PB laps at 4 different circuits consecutively. Loeb could have an advantage in track learning though as rally stages are all long like the Nurburgring. All Michelisz has to learn is the bumps and nuances in each corner, not the actual layout.. and by bumps I mean the little ones, not Flugplatz, Brunnchen or Stefan Bellof S.

Profile photo of David not Coulthard
    David not Coulthard
    Participant

Finally no reverse grid! This should be nice…

Profile photo of Nick
    Nick
    Participant

Honestly not a really big fan of the WTCC, but I do like what a successful weekend here could mean for racing on the Ring. If this goes well, maybe the Capricorn Group could have some talks with DTM organizers and perhaps WEC too.

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

Is that the same group bidding for F1? *Dreams of F1 race on the ring again..*

Profile photo of zomtec
    zomtec
    Participant

I can not imagine to see WEC cars on that track. LMP1 would be way too fast. But the GTEs would be nice to see. Currently there’s the 24h race going with McLarens MP4-12C on Pole and Audi R8, Mercedes SLS and BMW Z4 in Top10 positions. Not to forget some Porsches and Nissans.

Profile photo of Nick
    Nick
    Participant

Obviously a lot would need to happen to the track to make it LMP1/2 proof, but the 24 hour race there now has some cars that probably aren’t too far off what the GT cars in WEC are doing.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.