Group Admins

• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

World Touring Car Championship (WTCC)

Public Group active 1 month, 3 weeks ago

Group for fans of the World Touring Car Championship (WTCC).

Video: D’Aste goes from fourth to first on final lap

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of bag0 bag0 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

Today’s two WTCC races about as good as we can expect them to be in normal conditions given the Chevrolets’ dominance.

Huff, Muller and Menu cruised to an easy 1-2-3 in race one, Muller putting Huff under some fierce pressure but eventually having to give best to his team mate.

Whatever concerns they might have had about tyre wear in the high temperatures at the Salzburgring, with its two long, fast right-handers, were alleviated by the mid-race safety car period. But without the appearance of the safety car in race two, Chevrolet found it much tougher going, and that produced a stunning end to the race.

Menu started poorly, Muller made rapid progress through the field followed by Huff, and in short order the pair were running one-two. But a front-left tyre failure for Menu signalled the beginning of problems for several drivers.

Surprisingly, despite Muller and MacDowell coming to a stop on the outside of a fast corner, the safety car was not deployed. That meant Muller and Huff had to nurse their tyres, allowing the BMWs of Coronel and d’Aste to close in again.

It all kicked off on the final lap – Muller’s tyre went pop and Huff’s did shortly afterwards. D’Aste took advantage of the confusion to win while Huff somehow kept Coronel back for second:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv18_jDc5RA

Beating Muller in both races has done Huff a power of good in the championship, but Menu is starting to lose touch with his team mates:

1. Yvan Muller – 206
    2. Rob Huff – 198
    3. Alain Menu – 175
    4. Tom Coronel – 116

Bradley Downton
    Participant

I’ve been looking everywhere for this video. Thanks @keithcollantine.
    However:

despite Muller and MacDowell coming to a stop on the outside of a fast corner

Do you mean, ‘despite Menu and MacDowall’?

Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

@bradley13 I did!

bag0
    Participant

Im sad to say this, but they got what they deserved. Everyone knows they are years ahead of any team in development, engine power, resources, and yet, they have the same amount of ballast as the BMWs and SEATs. The first 6 lap of R2 was a massacre by the Chevys, just like in Marrakech. It was good to see, that they do have a weakpoint.
    I wish they would go for 20 laps, we would have a balanced championship. The FWDs are better at the rolling start, using the kerbs, and have higher topspeed, RWDs are better in slow corners, and keener on the tyres, give us 20 laps and anyone could win a race.

Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

@bag0 I couldn’t agree more about race length, it’s laughable to have a series calling itself a world championship having races as short as this.

robk23
    Participant

It’s not only the amount of laps, it’s the tracks. For a fan sitting in the grandstands it doesn’t feel like a world championship when the car only goes past 12 times at 2 minute+ intervals. The laps need to be shorter but the series organisers seem to be under the illusion they are out to replicate F1 by using Grand Prix circuits which are often just too big for touring cars.

Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

@robk23 Indeed – one of the good things about Salzburgring was the sub-90s laps.

That said I wouldn’t object to a WTCC race on the Nordschleife…

Bradley Downton
    Participant

@keithcollantine – I wouldn’t object to a BTCC on the Nordschleife, (I feel BTCC is more entertaining than the WTCC). I mean come on, DTM race at Brands Hatch!

bag0
    Participant

Maybe the track choice is not optimal, but I like some of the longer circuits on the calendar (ie. Monza,Hungaroring). I think if they increase the amount of laps, we could have more overtakes, differing strategies, etc. the whole championship would be mutch more interesting, and they dont need to change the tracks. Though they are constantly trying out new tracks, witch is not a bad thing. Last year was the first on the Hungaroring, this year the Salzburgring, and that american track in July.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.