Lewis Hamilton was quickest in another rain-hit practice session ahead of the Australian Grand Prix while his team mate hit the wall.
Unlike in first practice, the second session never dried sufficiently for dry-weather tyres to be used. The session began on a very wet track and Hamilton waited until the conditions had improved considerably before hitting the top with his first flying lap time.
Nico Rosberg took to the track much sooner but was caught out by the tricky conditions. The Mercedes got away from him at turn seven and hit the barrier, breaking its front wing.
Rosberg began to limp back to the pits but Mercedes were told by the FIA to park his car, which he duly did. That ended his participation in proceedings.
The two Force India drivers showed promising pace. Nico Hulkenberg was second fastest and Sergio Perez went quickest in the first two sectors before having to back off when the rain returned at the end of his lap.
Kimi Raikkonen, Daniel Ricciardo and Carlos Sainz Jnr completed the top five – the latter posting his best time at the end of the session having not got on the board in the morning session. His team mate was one of seven drivers who elected not to set times, including both Williams and Renault drivers.
Second practice visual gaps
Lewis Hamilton – 1’38.841
+0.467 Nico Hulkenberg – 1’39.308
+0.645 Kimi Raikkonen – 1’39.486
+0.694 Daniel Ricciardo – 1’39.535
+0.853 Carlos Sainz Jnr – 1’39.694
+1.054 Fernando Alonso – 1’39.895
+1.920 Sebastian Vettel – 1’40.761
+2.415 Sergio Perez – 1’41.256
+3.570 Daniil Kvyat – 1’42.411
+4.050 Esteban Gutierrez – 1’42.891
+4.560 Pascal Wehrlein – 1’43.401
+4.890 Romain Grosjean – 1’43.731
+5.463 Rio Haryanto – 1’44.304
+8.515 Nico Rosberg – 1’47.356
Drivers more then ten seconds off the pace omitted.
2016 Australian Grand Prix
- Elimination qualifying officially replaced by 2015 format
- Halo would have been “welcome” in crash – Alonso
- Alonso takes new power unit after crash
- Third Driver of the Weekend win for Grosjean
- F1 enjoys best season-opening race since 2009
2016 F1 practice sessions
- Errors leave Hamilton behind Rosberg in final practice
- Rosberg edges Hamilton in second practice
- Mercedes comfortably ahead in first practice
- Two stoppages can’t keep Hamilton from top spot
- Mercedes wrap up Friday practice with almost a second in hand