World Endurance Championship

2014 World Endurance Championship calendar

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

The World Endurance Championship’s planned calendar for next year is the same eight races as this year:

Silverstone – 18-20 April
    Spa-Francorchamps – 9-10 May
    Le Mans 24 Hours – 14/15 June
    Interlagos – 29-31 August (TBC)
    Circuit of the Americas – 19-21 September
    Fuji – 10-12 October
    Shanghai – 31 Oct – 1 Nov
    Bahrain – 13-15 November

First thought: it seems odd that a series which will have Audi and Porsche in it next year has no German round.

Little_M_Lo
    Participant

@keithcollantine i really want to see the WEC having a 12hr hour race at Mount Panorama (Bathurst). Its the best circuit Australia has to offer and our motorsport contingent would love to see the Championship Down Under.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Bathurst is pretty difficult to access. The teams would have to fly to Sydney, and then they’re looking at a three-hour drive to get to the circuit. Hell, getting across the city could take three hours. I can’t see them going down Parramatta Road, even if it is the most direct route – which means they would have to take the M5, M7 and M4 just to get to the mountains.

When getting to the circuit is a feat of endurance in itself, it’s not exactly a great start.

the_sigman
    Participant

Plus Bathurst is quite narrow at places and traffic could be a real problem.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

There is actually a twelve-hour race there every year with a pretty big field, but there are no prototypes racing.

Tomsk
    Participant

Maybe Porsche joining is an explanation for the recent rumours of a Nürburgring round (even as a replacement for Spa, but thankfully that hasn’t happened)

I wonder why they don’t go to Monza – I thought there was a long tradition of 1000km Monza races, and I think they’re missing out by not racing in Italy, particularly after seeing that video of the Audi cutting out the first chicane and zooming through Curva Grande.

Bathurst is glorious, but I really can’t see it working with Prototypes. If because of safety than anything else.

DC
    Participant

They should really bring back Sebring at Petit Le Mans and ditch Bahrain and perhaps Shanghai because those two US races are classics and quite prestigious, not to mention strongly attended.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

The FIA has deliberately left those events off the WEC calendar because they did not want the series to become dependent on an existing championship; in this case, ALMS. If Sebring and Petit Le Man’s were on the calendar, then between them and the race at COTA, American rounds would make up nearly half the championship. The WEC would effectively become ALMS with a few international rounds thrown in. At the same time, ALMS would suffer because WEC entries could potentially win ALMS championships by only contesting the WEC rounds. It is better for the long-term future of each championship if their calendars are as divided as possible.

Mathers
    Participant

Obviously for the reasons above and more, most of these venues would not be suitable for the World Endurance Championship, but this would be the dream calendar for me, with a lot of prestigious events and a season opener at a newer event:

Dunlop Dubai 24 Hours Dubai Autodrome 11th January
    Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona Daytona 19th January
    Liqui Moly 12 Hours of Bathurst Bathurst Mount Panorama 9th February
    Mobil 1 12 Hours of Sebring Sebring 15th March
    RAC Tourist Trophy Silverstone Circuit 6th April
    1000km of Monza Circuito di Monza 27th April
    24 Hours of Le Mans Circuit de la Sarthe 15th June
    ADAC Zurich 24 Hours of Nurburgring Nurburgring Nordschleife 6th July
    Total 24 Hours of Spa Spa Francorchamps 27th July
    Petit Le Mans Road Atlanta 5th October
    6 Hours of Fuji Fuji Speedway 12th October
    Mil Milhas Brasil Interlagos 9th November

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.