World Endurance Championship

Delta Wing car

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    john
    Participant

The deltawing car is the most amazing thing I have every seen. Cant wait to see what it can do at Le Mans.

MuzzleFlash
    Participant

It certainly is different, though I can’t understand the benefits of that layout on an automobile.

Zadak

I am facsinated to see how fast it will be at Le Mans

Here is a picture of the car for anyone who doesn’t know what it is…

http://motorcrave.frsucrave.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/2012-delta-wing-indycar.jpg

A very strange pointy design, I think it will have enough aero slip to go pretty fast in a straight, with that narrow front and almost total lack of downforce it could be a handful around corners.

SouthPawRacer
    Participant

Looks more like an aeroplane than a race car. YMMV on how it looks (I personally think it looks horrid :P ) but I’ve got genuine doubts about how it would handle with such a narrow front axle. It might as well be an overpowered version of my recumbent tricycle!

deanmachine
    Participant

It does look incredible like, it’s only getting a really small turbo engine too I think (2 litres maybe?) But it’s meant to be incredibly slippery as well as producing considerable downforce, I think it uses ground effect. But they say it can genuinely turn corners rather well, can’t wait to see it in action.

Does anyone know when it first runs? Sebring maybe?

Bendanarama
    Participant

It was originally competing to be one of the Indycar 2012 designs, so I reckon it’s probably gonna have mega grip, given it was designed to handle oval pack racing originally – I think I read rumours in autosport they’re getting a lot of backing from AMR for it as well.

deanmachine
    Participant

Yeah it’s got the carbon tub from the binned AMR-One so it doesn’t need to pass many FIA safety tests, since the Aston already has.

john
    Participant

I am also intrested to find out about its turning with that narrow front end.
    Anybody got any ideas?

Bendanarama
    Participant

I think the wide rear is going to lend itself naturally to turning to car in, to be honest, it was built as a single seater, so it’s got to be fairly maneuvarable:

couple more little bits and bobs for this car:

pic of the le mans version concept: http://reviews.cnet.com/i/tim/2011/06/09/Deltawing_610x436.jpg

A video the team did: http://youtu.be/Qab8Jkk3yNA

and for the technically minded among us, an airflow concept from the cars Indycar period: http://youtu.be/OAo0mbCFDAw

Calum
    Participant

iIt’s a cool concept but I’m looking forward to the Toyota more! :D

Joey-Poey
    Participant

It’s gonna have to perform pretty phenomenally to win me over because my God, it’s ugly as sin. I wasn’t a fan when it was proposed for the new Indycar chassis and I’m still not a fan as a LeMans prototype.

john
    Participant

@Bendanarama I went to the deltawing website and saw the indy car version, what have they changed to make a Le Mans version besides the chassis alterations?

That design has always said two words to me: catastrophic understeer.

deanmachine
    Participant

Exactly, it has extremely narrow front tyres too. I would not like to be the person driving into Indianapolis for the first time in that car.

They must’ve done something about the front end grip, because it has no wings as such, would it just be the downforce of the underbody that creates the front end grip somehow?

Bendanarama
    Participant

@john

Haven’t the foggiest, I just think it looks AWESOME.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 61 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.