World Endurance Championship

Nissan to enter 2014 Le Mans 24 Hours

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Nissan intends to compete in the 2014 Le Mans 24 Hours in the ‘Garage 56’ category for experimental cars which are outside of the normal rules of the race.

Nissan say the car will serve to “test innovative new powertrain technology and provide the Automobile Club de l’Ouest (ACO) and the Federation Internationale de l’Automobile (FIA) with data to enable all parties to evaluate the incorporation of this breakthrough technology ahead of a potential return to LMP1 in the future”.

CEO Carlos Ghosn said: “We will return to Le Mans with a vehicle that will act as a high-speed test bed in the harshest of environments for both our road car and race car electric vehicle technology.”

Press release:

Nissan will return to the Le Mans 24 Hours in 2014 with an innovative project that promises to continue the pioneering spirit of last year’s award-winning Nissan DeltaWing experimental entry.

Nissan CEO Carlos Ghosn made the pledge to return to Le Mans during a special event today in Yokohama, Japan, to open a new headquarters for Nismo, Nissan’s global performance and motorsport brand.

Ghosn hinted that a new approach to innovation and excitement will be at the project’s core, while confirming that the company will return as the Garage 56 entry for innovative concepts with an all-new race car incorporating electric technology.

The entry will test innovative new powertrain technology and provide the Automobile Club de l’Ouest (ACO) and the Federation Internationale de l’Automobile (FIA) with data to enable all parties to evaluate the incorporation of this breakthrough technology ahead of a potential return to LMP1 in the future.

“We will return to Le Mans with a vehicle that will act as a high-speed test bed in the harshest of environments for both our road car and race car electric vehicle technology,” said Mr. Ghosn.

Ghosn’s revelation promises a continued commitment from Nissan to performance and motorsport innovation – and a bold ambition to change expectations of what is possible in performance.

Nissan will reveal further details behind the new project in the near future.

So it’s not the DeltaWing? Does this mean the DeltaWing won’t be appearing in this year’s race? I was looking forward to that!

MazdaChris
    Participant

That’s excellent news. I wonder if it’ll be based around a LMP concept or use a modified production chassis

Ryan Williams
    Participant

@magnificent-geoffrey Nissan parted company with Highcroft Racing (The guys behind the DeltaWing) a few months back. Panoz have picked up the project and will race the car at Sebring and select ALMS events in the LMP1 class

@RyanWilliams Ah, I see. Thanks for that.

It’ll be interesting to see what Nissan will come up with considering they have a blank canvas to start with. I reckon they should get Kaz Yamauchi involved and come up with something really Space Age and cool.

Ryan Williams
    Participant

I have a feeling that they’ll base the project on the GT-R GT3 car so they can focus their resources on the complex technology required

MazdaChris
    Participant

@magnificent-geoffrey If Kazanori gets involved it’ll take six years to develop then when it’s finally unveiled it’ll be 80% recycled Nissan Micra

Anonymous
    Inactive

Good news, I do like Nissan. Looking forward to seeing how well their (well, JRM’s) GT-R GT3 can do in various GT categories this year, and how the Deltawing (even though they not longer supply the engine) does in ALMS. I’m sure they can come up with something special for that 56th Garage.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.