RaceFans site development

Links to online streams of races

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

It seems that with each new practice session, qualifying period and race, we get someone posting links to “free” streams broadcasting the race online. Most of these are deleted pretty quickly by the moderators, but I do recall one member posting a message in one of these threads warning that the URL provided took him to a site that his anti-virus warned was highly questionable. Clearly, these links are being used to distribute malware; even if they are clean, they are linking to copyrighted content, and I imagine the blog could get in trouble either way.

As a solution to this, would it be possible to put in place a feature that blocks members from starting threads until they have posted a certain number of times in the forum? Or, alternatively, if their posts on the blog are in the moderation queue, then any new threads they create will not be visible to public users (unless a moderator approves it). I know this probably consitutues a serious change to the forum software, but doing it would probably protect both the site from copyright violations and a lot of users from malware.

PS – I tried to post this in the “Known Problems” thread, for for some reason, I keep getting sent to a “Page Not Found” message, so I figured I would create a new thread instead.

@prisoner-monkeys We do take steps to prevent people trying to abuse the forum in this way and try to clean up any such messages as quickly as possible. Further changes to improve this are planned.

However I’m obviously not going to go into any details as it would only make life easier for those trying to abuse the site.

They are best ignored and of course you should never click on the spammy links they are trying to lure people into clicking on.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

However I’m obviously not going to go into any details as it would only make life easier for those trying to abuse the site.

I have faith.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.